I haven't got any window cleaner. What can I use instead?

(10 Posts)
JudithOfThePascha Thu 28-Mar-13 12:25:27

The only vinegar I have is Sarson's, before anyone suggests vinegar. What else is ok for cleaning windows and not too smeary that I night have in my house?

Ta!

morethanpotatoprints Thu 28-Mar-13 12:29:35

Whats wrong with sarsons?

You could try anything citrus based, lemon?

Sometimes I just use a soapy sponge then wipe with a none woven cloth.

Didn't they use newspapers at one time to dry windows?
Maybe somebody else knows this?

JudithOfThePascha Thu 28-Mar-13 12:52:30

I thought Sarsons was too strong and smelly? Am I wrong? Do I just add it to water or what?

Mind you, you've just reminded me I have an e-cloth somewhere. If I can root that out, I'll be ok.

PigletJohn Thu 28-Mar-13 12:55:41

two drops of washing-up liquid per bucket of warm water. A soft, clean hand-brush. Lots of clean newspaper for polishing off. Be sure all dirt and grit is gone from the glass and frame before you start polishing, unless you like scratched windows.

JudithOfThePascha Thu 28-Mar-13 18:02:07

Thanks Piglet. Windows done. Didn't have any newspaper but used kitchen roll instead.

They're not gleaming but it is possible to see out of them now.

mathanxiety Fri 29-Mar-13 04:53:51

Cold tea does windows nicely too.

JudithOfThePascha Fri 29-Mar-13 07:56:17

Really? Does your house not smell of tea?!

mathanxiety Sat 30-Mar-13 04:53:29

Well it may smell of tea but that is because I drink a good deal of tea smile.

I don't spray the tea onto the windows, just dip a microfibre cloth in it and wring out, then scrub. I may have seen it on How Clean is Your House but maybe somewhere else..

A tiny drop of shampoo on wet kitchen roll. I've worked in 3 hairdressers and they all did this on the mirrors. Shampoo + kitchen roll then buff with dry kitchen roll

Crikeyme Fri 12-Apr-13 21:14:12

Can't recommend e-cloths enough for windows (the actual brand, not any old microfibre cloth) - I blanched at the £10 cost initially, but as my mum is not the type to rave about household tips willynilly, I thought I'd risk it.

You only need to dampen one cloth and then dry off with the other, so you don't need any chemicals at all. It's just as good for the outsides, too, and means you'll never have water dripping down your sleeve in the middle of winter when you can't quite reach the top of the pane. Honestly, I get all evangelical about these things - sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now