Oven Brite cleaning kit - help!

(9 Posts)
gwenniebee Tue 26-Feb-13 11:42:48

Don't know if anyone else has used this.... It sold itself to me by the "no effort" rack cleaning bags.

The instructions say to empty half the contents of the bottle of cleaning fluid into the rack cleaning bag, and then to lower the racks into it. So far so good. You are then supposed to leave the racks standing upright with the seal of the bag at the top, which makes sense. Except that having done this I realise the racks are just sitting in about 3cm of the fluid at the bottom - they're not covered at all.

I've kind of moshed the bag about a bit to cover the racks in a little fluid, but will this do? Are they going to get cleaned just by the power of suggestion?!

I'm afraid I'm probably missing something obvious. 7mo dd was up from 1.30-3.15am so it's highly probable.

Can the power of mumsnet help me clean my oven?

sherbetpips Tue 26-Feb-13 12:18:57

Did you paint the fluid on with the brush or are you happy they are all covered in the thick liquid? it shoudl cling....

gwenniebee Tue 26-Feb-13 13:05:43

It literally just said to tip the liquid in and then lower the racks in, nothing about painting or sponging. I have been tipping the bag around though and think there is a reasonable coating on most parts. You're right that it's quite clingy.

Chippychop Tue 26-Feb-13 13:13:54

I tend to swill it around so it coats everything.then swill a couple I hours later too be very careful on emptying as its acid and stings if you get it on your skin

CarpeJugulum Tue 26-Feb-13 13:18:13

I stick the bag flat, but have the seal propped upright IYSWIM. So it looks like |_

Did mine yesterday and it's so nice to have silver racks again!

gwenniebee Tue 26-Feb-13 13:25:52

Thanks for the advice.

Chippychop it smells lethal - I bet it does sting if you get it on your skin! I applied it with my normal rubber gloves on under their disposable ones. (Although I actually think this made it harder...)

lolalotta Wed 27-Feb-13 07:04:24

Just incase it comes in handy in the future, if you stick the racks in a sink full of hot water and soda crystals it the black comes off fairly easily with a pan scourer... Anyway good luck!

TheFallenNinja Wed 27-Feb-13 07:14:38

Ask yourself this. What would Barry Scott do?

Cazza140 Wed 02-Dec-15 10:45:21

If you look at this video on youTube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM-ZLwzUfrY

He says, remove air from the bag, seal, swirl it around to make sure all is covered then lie it flat. Swirl around again through cleaning process.

Slightly different from the instructions on the box and makes more sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now