ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Am I the only one who spends so much time shuffling washing about to get it dry?

(31 Posts)
grants1000 Tue 05-Feb-13 17:17:12

I feel like all I do is shuffle washing about the house to get it dry! No yumble dryer, don't have the heating on all day every day as that would be joke expensive. I have a Sheila Made but not everthing fits on and dries in time for the next lot, with two boys who are muddy from school every day. Otherwise it just sits there in a suspended state of animation, neither wet nor dry. Can't go outside obvs and I havea drying rack, but it could be days before its dry, so I shuffle from the drying rack to the Sheila Made to the radiotors when on and have just realised I must spend so much time doing this, what am I doing wrong, beside having no tumble dryer, even just for the pants, socks, towels, bedding etc.

So bored of the wash.

grants1000 Wed 06-Feb-13 09:39:41

Yes I am thinking tumble dryer for my birthday in March, seriously, it would make me so happy to do the sheets, bedding, towels, pants and socks, nearly dry the school shirts and hang them up to finish off no ironing. I have just battled with a large duvet cover over two breakfast bar type stools and it pisses me right off. It could be tumbling away now, getting all dry, warm and soft............

BoffinMum Wed 06-Feb-13 11:57:51

Clas Ohlsen do a heated airer that's cheaper than Lakeland's.

SCOTCHandWRY Wed 06-Feb-13 14:44:00

Average cost to run a dehumidifier in a room to dry laundry is about 76 pounds a year, average cost to dry in a tumble dryer for a year is 85 pounds.... With the dryer you can leave most of it un ironed.

Dehumidifiers cost more to run than you think, they are not the cheap option! Per hour they cost less, but take longer to dry the washing iykwim.

An A rated modern tumbler will dry a load for 14-20p, depending on what type of clothes you are drying.... A Lakeland type heated drying rack will dry a load of washing for.... 14p!!!!

It costs about 20p an hour to iron with a steam iron, now maybe I am a rubbish ironer, but it takes me longer to iron a load of line dried washing in the summer than to tumble dry and fold it straight into the drawers, tho I do have an washing machine with 1600 spin which helps a lot grin

What I am trying to say is - there is such a lot of anti tumble dryer sentiment, some of the solutions are no cheaper and more importantly IMO take up time and space and are a lot of faff for no real gain (other than the ability to smugly say I don't use a dryer they are SO environmentally unsound shock).

Why make life difficult for yourselves if you have the space for one?!

<puts on newly tumble dried, unironed flame proof suit>

derektheladyhamster Wed 06-Feb-13 14:54:05

I have a small tumble dryer, all underwear (I only have m&s cottons grin) goes in, as does anything that can be tumble dried. It's dry within 35-40 mins. The rest goes on a clothes horse and because it's not full it's dry with 24 hrs.
The heating isn't on all day.

On dry winter days, towels/bedding/shirts are hung outside to dry.

I can't stand having washing hanging around the house.

Mintberry Wed 06-Feb-13 15:32:12

Hi OP, am in the same situation as you but find that as long as it isn't below about 5 degrees with no wind that they do dry outside, they just take longer. I have some outside drying as we speak.
But our flat has a damp problem, so I don't want to add to it by drying clothes indoors.
In the colder months I find they can smell a bit dodgy as well if you dry them inside because we don't want the windows open letting the blizzard in air circulate with a little person living here!

alemci Wed 06-Feb-13 15:43:31

You can put it out if it is bright and windy but otherwise it is more hassle than it is worth. last week i pegged out towels as it looked bright and sunny then suddenly it tipped it down but then it was dry again so eventually they dried.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now