Is a steam generator iron worth the extra £££;?

(11 Posts)
Murtette Thu 17-Jan-13 15:00:33

I think you have all converted me!

Sleepwhenidie Wed 16-Jan-13 22:35:35

Mine has stopped working sad - it was great - anyone had this and got theirs fixed? Such a PITA to get somewhere for repair/clean, even if i knew where to take/send it. Instructions say not to use vinegar but maybe I should just try it?

NewYearNewThinking Wed 16-Jan-13 22:31:38

Yes. Get one.

MrsDexter Wed 16-Jan-13 20:15:04

Fizzy which one do you have? It sounds great!!

AppleOgies Wed 16-Jan-13 12:36:46

It's fast because you only need to go over it once and it's ironed.., none of this wiggling the iron back and forth over an area, spraying with a bit of water etc... One whoosh over and the area is flat.

Fizzylemonade Wed 16-Jan-13 11:22:52

I have a steam generator, it basically lets you iron better in a shorter amount of time, ie it gets creases out first time and you don't have to go over the clothing again etc. The amount of steam it produces is huge.

I didn't believe the hype until I got one. I lent it to my mate and she has now got one.

Have a look at this John Lewis video on them, mine is sort of the one featured although mine is probably the next model up.

Mine has a carry handle that acts as a shield to stop anyone touching the hot iron, removable water tank and a limescale collector so the iron tells me when to do it. I just unscrew it, empty it out, give it a rinse and put it back in. I probably do it every 2 months.

steam generator iron video

KatyTheCleaningLady Wed 16-Jan-13 09:38:02

What does it do special? Why are they better?

Primrose123 Wed 16-Jan-13 09:02:06

Definitely. I've got a tefal. It's five years old, and still going strong. I would never go back to a normal iron. You need to be a bit careful with delicate items though. I usually iron anything delicate without pressing the steam button, and that's fine.

AppleOgies Wed 16-Jan-13 08:56:31

It's brill on work shirts too.

AppleOgies Wed 16-Jan-13 08:56:10

Yes. Ironing time drops by a third with a steam generator. It's so quick that I can get through 2 washing machine loads in 45 mins. I can recommend Philips (much better than other makes IMO) and go or at least 4bar.

Murtette Tue 15-Jan-13 22:48:52

The thread title says it all really. We need a new iron. Do I pay the extra for a steam generator iron? Ironing consists of duvet covers, the occasional table cloth, work shirts and everyday clothes (jeans, T-shirts) etc.
Any advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now