Water softener to reduce this darned annoying limescale

(15 Posts)
whomovedmyblackberry Thu 12-Jan-12 17:04:38

Anyone got one? Do they work?

PestoHurricano Thu 12-Jan-12 17:25:48

My parents have had one for years and yes they do work. They also have a separate tap in the kitchen for non-softened water bypassing the softener system, in order to have drinking water available.

It makes the bathwater all lovely and soft and you only need a teeny squeeze of bubble bath to have a really luxurious foamy bath. They also like it as it means they no longer have to remove the tedious limescale build-up.

HTH

whomovedmyblackberry Thu 12-Jan-12 17:28:04

Hadn't considered the soap issue as I was more motivated by cleaning the limescale off the taps etc. and it trashing appliances but that would be a nice bonus!

If anyone has any recommendations of whether to go for the salt adding ones or the electronic versions that would be great.

Hassled Thu 12-Jan-12 17:29:15

East of England? I am obsessed with limescale.

Sparklingbrook Thu 12-Jan-12 17:35:15

My Mum and Dad have one. They have to buy lots of salt. It is a strange looking box in the garage. Other than that I have no idea, but Dad seems happy.

oreocrumbs Thu 12-Jan-12 17:43:34

PigletJohn was telling me about them a few days ago on another thread, I am keen to get one but I believe they are quite expensive and my money is earmarked for other things at the moment. Will be getting one as soon as things settle down smile

UptownAbbie Thu 12-Jan-12 17:45:19

Yes, had two over past 9 years. I really missed soft water when we were without it for 2 weeks while kitchen was being done (we live in Essex) my skin felt itchy, bathwater scumy and soap wouldn't lather. Also clothes felt rough - no fabric softener needed with softened water.
We had a Waterside for 4 years which started to leak after we'd had it a while and repairs were expensive. It also needed servicing every year. Now we've got a Patmore TwinTech S3 which is smaller and simpler, no electrics involved only takes up half the space under the sink. No servicing needed, so although more expensive to buy works out cheaper overall.

WinterGoddess Thu 12-Jan-12 19:23:21

We just got one - it's a Monarch...would really recommend it on the bathroom cleaning alone.
Some of the salt ones need electric power (ours does) some don't, consider how much water you use before deciding on which to buy as their capacity can differ.
Do not buy an electric softener which charges the ions and reduces scale - they don't work!

PigletJohn Thu 12-Jan-12 20:15:38

seconded about the "electronic" or "magnetic" ones.

They work in the same way that a copper bracelet cures arthritis, or a sweaty sock tied round the neck prevents colds.

charlieandlola Thu 12-Jan-12 20:24:45

we inherited a plumbed in electronic or magnetic "water softener" when we moved into this house.

Please note my ironic use of " ".

It makes the tap water cloudy for about 30 seconds but does naff all towards reducing limescale.

PigletJohn Fri 13-Jan-12 00:02:10

When you buy a proper one, people will start saying, "gosh, what lovely soft, glossy hair you've got"

PestoHurricano Fri 13-Jan-12 07:52:00

Just to add, theirs uses salt smile

LittenTree Fri 13-Jan-12 13:34:02

we have one of these, the 2020c. We are in southern Hants so with reasonably hard natural water.

Being non electric you only consume block salt which is costing us about £160 a year.

We had it installed along with a new Megaflo unvented, pressurised hot water system about 2 years ago, plumbing it so we can bypass it (like if we move house we could take the unit with us). Our house is 12 years old.

It cost about £1000 including installation (under the sink) and a non-softened tap + filter for 'drinking' water beside the sink, and a garden tap spur that's also not softened.

Now, what do I think? I am not entirely sure that I'd spend my last £1000 on it, to be honest. We were hoping that it would help towards keeping DS2's eczema under control but I really don't think it's made much, if any difference.

Yes, you can use much less washing powder, dishwasher salt and 'Finish' (don't need either as no residues!) shampoo etc; no limescale; the hot water system should last much longer, the softened water flowing through the radiators should gradually be de-scaling them.

Personally I find the softness of the water a tiny bit irritating. You sort of feel a bit slimy! For a swift hand rinse after soaping, we gravitate towards using the non-softened tap as it gets that soapy feeling off much quicker. And no one's noticed my lustrous hair. grin . But the shower door looks much nicer...

On balance, I'm happy enough that we did it but we had the £1000 to spare at the time.

LittenTree Fri 13-Jan-12 13:36:24

Oh, one other thing- an in-line water softener can reduce the water pressure to the house quite dramatically. There were questions about whether we could have the Megaflo, if there'd be enough pressure. Fortunately we're the first house off the major water main so you could've sliced concrete with the original pressure so it wasn't an issue, but just something to bear in mind.

MDCndizvo Wed 06-Jul-16 22:48:37

Today i had the guy this morning who came to install the softer container under the sink. From this evening i could test soft drinking water. We live in Ipswich and we used Patmore water softerner. I would recomend

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now