Where do you buy bed linen / bedding?

(23 Posts)
MosEisley Wed 09-Nov-11 11:43:45

I am looking to buy new bed linen for our new bed [excited], and am looking for recommendations.

Don't want to spend a fortune but want good enough quality that it works out to be good value in the long run (i.e. doesn't wear out in a year).

any suggestions?

JosieRosie Wed 09-Nov-11 11:46:44

Not very exciting but I usually buy my bed linen from Argos - usually quite a decent range, good prices and in my experience, looks fine for a couple of years at least with regular use/washing.
Yay for new bed linen grin

Ktay Wed 09-Nov-11 11:51:26

We got the stuff for our (then) spare room from King of Cotton. There are lots of different weights of Egyptian cotton at corresponding price options. Can't comment on how well it wears as it's only been used intermittently by guests but the prices are good and lots of people comment on how comfy it is. Am planning to get some for our bed too soon as our JL wedding present stuff is starting to wear out a little bit (we've had that for nearly 6 years incidentally and tend to rotate between two sets.)

If you are anywhere near a White Company outlet (I know there's one at Bicester, dunno about elsewhere) then they might be worth a look - got a lovely single duvet cover there (again - it is used for guests so not sure about wear.)

MosEisley Wed 09-Nov-11 12:17:59

Thanks for your good ideas!

Argos catalogue is where DH left it in downstairs loo (yuck) but I can check that easily enough.

I can get to Bicester although it is a bit of a drive & would have to make special trip... it is a great idea though as a way of getting good stuff more cheaply.

Will check King of Cotton too.

Ktay Wed 09-Nov-11 12:24:16

Just had a quick check, apparently White Company also have stores at the outlet centres in Portsmouth and Gloucester too if any more convenient for you? Also looks like they are happy for you to call and check what's in stock before making a trip.

MosEisley Wed 09-Nov-11 12:32:26

Thanks Ktay. Neither Portsmouth nor Gloucester are close either... BUT I am just looking at King of Cotton website and thinking that their prices look good on like for like products with White Company, John Lewis etc.

mollymole Wed 09-Nov-11 12:33:36

there is often 400 thread count bed linen in tk maxx at much cheaper prices then the stores

Ktay Wed 09-Nov-11 12:34:56

Oh great (sorry not stalking you, 'working' from home). If you can get to one of their stores, they can sometimes offer you a better price than online too.

Pancakeflipper Wed 09-Nov-11 12:36:25

I bought bedding in the Summer. I was disappointed by the quality of M&S and John Lewis.

A colleague told me to check out TKMax. It's hit and miss with stock but I must have struck it lucky and I got some great quality bedding: 1 fitted sheet, 2 duvet sets with pillow cases and 2 more pillow cases for £70.00.

It's a good cotton count and washes like a dream. So worth a look especially for spare pillow cases and sheets.

MosEisley Wed 09-Nov-11 12:59:27

There is a TKMaxx in a local town so I will definitely check that out. Thanks for the tips! More recommendations welcome, too. I feel a price comparison spreadsheet coming on. [geek]

Ha, yes I was supposed to be 'working' today, too... but there are always so many distractions.

ChildofIsis Wed 09-Nov-11 13:05:11

I've just got some really cheap fab bed linen from Tony's Textiles on Ebay.

I was after super king duvet covers, I got 3 sets for the price of one set in the shops.

sam2cats Wed 09-Nov-11 13:42:20

Dunelm is a good bet for bedding too. it has all the good quality names but often at a fraction of price of John Lewis.....they have a website too. I have some beautiful white Christy cotton bedding from there and it washes beautifully.

queenebay Wed 09-Nov-11 13:45:54

i swear by primark

LtheBrideofFrankenstein Wed 09-Nov-11 14:18:30

I bought a couple of 500 thread count sheet sets during a sale at house of fraser earlier in the year, reduced from £130 to £36 each. I suppose they're about 6 months old now and they're wearing incredibly well. Also found them quite warm, we've only got the sheets and a thin bedspread on at the moment (bedspread only went on a couple of weeks ago), whereas last year we had the duvet out in October.

Just had a quick look and they're on sale again at the moment, although the duvet sets are out of stock.

wahwahwah Wed 09-Nov-11 14:19:24

Cologne and Cotton

wahwahwah Wed 09-Nov-11 14:19:38

www.cologneandcotton.com/epages/CologneAndCotton.sf

MosEisley Wed 09-Nov-11 15:41:20

Thanks for all the suggestions. Off to do some looking into them all!

MackerelOfFact Thu 10-Nov-11 16:47:12

I was really disappointed with my House of Fraser sale ones, LtheBrideofFrankenstein. I got them in the sale too, and they are lovely and thick but have bobbled horrendously already.

I second TKMaxx for bedlinen. It can be hit and miss with what's in stock, as already mentioned, but prices are reasonable and quality mostly good.

Lilly1976 Fri 12-Feb-16 14:10:21

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Snog Tue 16-Feb-16 19:16:14

Dorma 1000 TC from Dunelm is
Really thick and lovely quality cotton
Or m&s autograph supima cotton

Rshard Tue 16-Feb-16 20:00:38

White Company for me too! Excellent quality, worth every penny.

They often have have very good sales and discount vouchers on line if you sign up for their email alerts

SmallGreenBouncyBall Tue 16-Feb-16 20:02:54

ikea or amazon.de
am a bit picky, has to be 100% cotton and our bed is a european super king, so sheets are hard to get on shops.

Coldwatebay Tue 16-Feb-16 20:21:13

Northern nights. First saw them on qvc! Fabulous quality Egyptian cotton that get softer with every wash

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now