100% silk top, do I really need to dry clean it?

(11 Posts)
UntamedShrew Thu 12-May-11 10:05:48

The label says I do, but I have lots of clothes from the same place (Jigsaw) that say the same, like jumpers and dresses, and when I've handwashed them they have been fine. I don't know if maybe they just say that to cover themselves sometimes as a retailer, against shrunken items being returned.

Not sure about silk though, does anyone know? It also says 'due to crinkle nature of the fabric we recommend you do not iron' - so dry cleaning seems a real waste anyway if it can't even be pressed. hmm

Thanks.

PrinceHumperdink Thu 12-May-11 10:11:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

UntamedShrew Thu 12-May-11 11:29:54

How do you tell what kind of silk it is? Label just says 100% pure silk.

I was going to use something gentle like Dreft or ecover hand wash, is that no good?

thanks!

PrinceHumperdink Thu 12-May-11 11:43:30

enidroach Thu 12-May-11 12:10:05

I always handwash silk tops - dry cleaning every time is way too expensive. I use some fairy handwash powder or woolite and lukewarm water and am gentle.I rinse in cold, gently squeeze nad drr flat or on a hanger. I think the holes in the drum of machine can kind of catch and shred the silk even on a handwash cycle.

2BoysTooLoud Thu 12-May-11 12:40:45

I have washed silk skirt by accident in bio wash powder. Seems ok much to my relief.
what sort of damage does bio powder do?

enidroach Thu 12-May-11 12:43:20

I think it can drain and dull the colour mainly and can sometimes leave whitish streaks

dikkertjedap Thu 12-May-11 17:26:44

I machine wash on 30 degrees and slow spin and use Woollite. No problem.

PrinceHumperdink Thu 12-May-11 17:32:10

ChunkyPickle Thu 12-May-11 17:42:35

I have some lovely 100% heavy silk wrap skirts, and they go in the (American, so hard on clothes and completely uncontrolled water temperature) washing machine, on hot, with standard powder (which I learned on here is all bio apparently) and they're just fine.

I then whack them in the tumble dryer, and apart from static they come out beautifully with no need to iron.

I think washing instructions are always very over-cautious. All the t-shirts/jeans/whatever I buy out here have instructions to wash in cold water (!) which seems ridiculous to someone from Europe who considers 40 degrees a gentle heat wash..

Butlerz Fri 12-Feb-16 20:31:28

Dry cleaning doesn't fade the colour which washing will over time. Silk needs a very cool iron and can easily burn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now