what do you use soda crystals for?

(38 Posts)
mousymouse Mon 14-Mar-11 14:19:55

have a large bag left over from my fishy bread board desaster.
what do I do with the rest?

snice Mon 14-Mar-11 14:24:25

I put a spoonful in with every load of washing-it softens the water/improves the working of the washing powder

PigeonPie Mon 14-Mar-11 14:24:35

I use them when I wash out the washing machine on an empty 90 degree wash (no spin). Ditto the dishwasher on the months when I don't use a finish cleanery thing.

Put down the drain, particularly in the kitchen with some hot water to clean out the pipes.

Make up a strongish solution and put down the loo (don't flush, just let it sit for a while).

Cleaning the kitchen cupboard doors in a weakish solution (gets rid of grease).

They're just a storecupboard essential in our house!

mousymouse Mon 14-Mar-11 14:32:05

thank you,
do you think I then can reduce the washing powder even further? atm I use half the recommended dose.

WildAndCrazyHorlicksDrinker Mon 14-Mar-11 14:35:17

Fab for burnt ovenware, smelly drains and also washing floors.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 14-Mar-11 18:37:14

I soak my extractor fan filters in them. I use two dessert spoons of soda and three of powder for clothes.

And for cleaning out the shower plughole and cleaning paintwork and upvc patio doors.

60p or so in homebargains for a 1KG bag.

MaryBS Mon 14-Mar-11 18:38:18

Whitening whites that have gone grey/stained

BornToFolk Mon 14-Mar-11 18:39:22

I love soda crystals! I soak whites in them before washing to get stains out.
They are also really good for getting rid of tea stains in cups and on teaspoons - just soak them in a fairly strong solution and it just wipes out.

allergyhelp Thu 17-Mar-11 12:09:24

I add them to the wash now and then and use for cleanig the fridge and cupboards. also good for drains.

RamblingRosa Thu 17-Mar-11 12:10:34

I don't even know what they are blush

they sound great. where can I get some?

snice Thu 17-Mar-11 12:18:27

at any supermarket-but always hidden away on the bottom shelf under all the regular washing powders with the other stuff they don't really want you to buy

valiumredhead Thu 17-Mar-11 17:53:32

Bung half a bag in an empty hot wash and it cleans the pipes in your washing machine.

RamblingRosa Thu 17-Mar-11 20:08:35

Thanks. I'll have to investigate. They sound good.

PigeonPie Thu 17-Mar-11 21:43:40

The ones I get from Tesco are made by Dri Pak if you look on that site for the packaging, at least you'll know what to look for!

MillsAndDoom Thu 17-Mar-11 22:27:34

Today I used them for clearing a blocked loo when bleach and boiling water had failed

BelieveInLife Fri 18-Mar-11 12:59:35

Could you use them in the dishwasher on an empty cycle to clean that out do you think?

snice Fri 18-Mar-11 13:02:24

don't see why not-it would work on the same principle as for a washing machine I would think

Lilymaid Fri 18-Mar-11 13:08:05

Put a big spoon of soda crystals in your sink. Pour over a kettle full of boiling water. Stops the drain getting blocked.

PigeonPie Fri 18-Mar-11 13:08:30

Believe I put crystals in the dispenser every other month alternating with a commercial one. Haven't noticed a problem.

RamblingRosa Fri 18-Mar-11 13:15:19

God, I so need some of these. I'm going to get some tomorrow. Do all supermarkets sell them <ignorant emoticon>? Can I get them in Sainsbury's.

We forever have slow draining water from our sink. Sink unblocker stuff costs a fortune. Sounds like soda crystals might be just the ticket.

BelieveInLife Fri 18-Mar-11 13:37:47

Brilliant, thanks pigeon. Just got mine delivered from Ocado - how sad to be excited at the prospect of an afternoon finding uses for soda crystal

RobynLou Fri 18-Mar-11 13:42:44

they cure the itchyness of insect bites, my grandma always used to rub them on any bites we got.

NurseSunshine Fri 18-Mar-11 14:01:37

Are soda crystals the same as bicarbonate of soda?

Lilymaid Fri 18-Mar-11 15:47:18

Soda crystals aren't the same as bicarb (no idea of the chemistry, but I wouldn't be using them in my sodabread recipes!)

deliakate Sun 20-Mar-11 19:03:13

I'm going to use some today for trying to clear the shower plughole which is running very slowly.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now