Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Sewing machine

(9 Posts)
bcngran Sat 11-Jun-16 20:38:52

Can anyone recommend a sewing machine for general use? I only need it for hems, seams and a bit of simple dressmaking, mainly childrens' clothes. No bells and whistles, nothing super fancy, no need for attachments to do embroidery, buttonholes...
I've happily used a 1960s one until recently, but it is sooo heavy to pick up and move around. So now I want a reasonably priced new machine which is as light and easy as possible to haul in and out of the cupboard and onto the table, but not so light that it jumps about when in use. Is the Ikea one ("Sy") any good? Or any Singer machines that would fill the bill?

Berthatydfil Sat 11-Jun-16 20:40:51

Janome are very good. They do a range from basic to more fancy.
They stock them in John Lewis if you are anywhere near as you could go and gave a look at one

80Kgirl Sat 11-Jun-16 20:42:30

You should be able to get a decent Janome that will do a button hole from John Lewis for about £200. You really should make sure it does button holes if you want to do any dress making.

Iwantagoonthetrampoline Sat 11-Jun-16 20:59:06

I only do pretty basic stuff and loved my old inherited hand Singer machine, but was getting jammed up and was going to cost £50 to get serviced, so decided to just get a new one and went electric last year. I got a John Lewis fairly standard one, which I'm very happy with. Also comes in lots of different colours smile. Planning on having the Singer serviced and passing on to my daughter when she's a bit older.

Iwantagoonthetrampoline Sat 11-Jun-16 21:01:30

I have to say buttonholes were a revelation!

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 11-Jun-16 21:04:56

Agree re the buttonholes. You might as well.

elephantoverthehill Sat 11-Jun-16 21:12:34

I am looking at the moment as well, I can't decide whether to get my 30 year old machine serviced or to buy new. Currently I borrow a Janome from school when I have sewing to do at home. I think they are great machines and advised my sister to get one and she is very pleased with it. However I have got a number of Club card vouchers and could double up and buy a Singer for very little. I am watching this thread with interest. Also DS has chosen Textiles GCSE next year so I want a machine he is comfortable using.

80Kgirl Sat 11-Jun-16 21:17:21

A good mechanical machine is fine. I can make clothing on my mechanical Janome as well as I can on my fancy electronic one. The fancy machine doesn't sew any better, it just gives me the opportunity to do electronic embroidery which I quit using when I quit making Irish dancing dresses.

bcngran Thu 16-Jun-16 09:09:21

THanks for all your helpful comments. I'm now looking at the Janome SMCC500 or Janome J3-24. Both seem to have the features I want and not too heavy (6 & 7 kg). Also with automatic needle threaders, a good idea as my eyesight is gradually getting worse with age! Only thing is Iḿ not sure if either have a variable speed on the foot pedal - some reviewers say it's hard to control and the speed can easily be too fast for more complicated work. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now