Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Ovens!

(11 Posts)
Pepsioften100 Sat 04-Jun-16 12:43:48

So we're moving house and they're taking the oven.
So we need to buy one- first time buying an oven!
We want a gas hob for sure. Then not sure whether it's better to get a dual one for electric oven or all gas??
What else do we need to know or think about?
Kitchen has wooden surfaces and cream cupboards- thinking white oven wouldn't look right?
There's a metal extractor good above the space already.
So basically any suggestions for ovens? Or opinions on what you all reckon would be best!?
Thanks!

Costacoffeeplease Sat 04-Jun-16 12:56:02

I have a neff hide and slide - it's great

SpinnakerInTheEther Sat 04-Jun-16 13:04:58

Make sure you have an electric connection that is right for the oven / gas connection for hob. Aside from this, I would definitely have a gas hob and electric oven. I have had gas ovens before which you had to be really careful about lighting correctly otherwise they could go out.

Other things to look out for are size of gas burners - will you want a big 'wok' burner for big pans? I also like having 2 ovens on the cooker, one of which can be set to grill. Do you want glass doors? - can see in without opening door but can look grimy quickly. What do you find easier with regards to door opening? Do you want a timer? What sort of dials do you like? Do you want self igniting or an ignition switch? Do they have removable parts for cleaning? Do they 'self clean'? Are the oven(s) large enough.

Pepsioften100 Sat 04-Jun-16 14:16:24

Is the Neff built in only?
So hopefully there's the right things there for dual- thought this might be the preferred option. We currently have built in and only the one big oven part that can also be grill but I think the two separate parts would be great! Is the top oven exactly the same as the bottom but smaller?
There is such a thing as self cleaning?! grin

Costacoffeeplease Sat 04-Jun-16 14:19:19

I think so - mine's built-in, separate to the hob, which is gas

It has a self cleaning part at the top and the back of the oven

SpinnakerInTheEther Sat 04-Jun-16 14:32:00

Pepsi I changed our built ins to a 'slot in' stand alone cooker when I changed our kitchen. I just liked the fact it can be removed easily for repairs or to renew. I also found there was a lot of 'dead space' around our built ins, hence we were able to get a double oven on our stand alone cooker. The small oven is similar size to a grill. The bottom, large oven is a fan oven but the small top oven is just an ordinary electric oven.

Costacoffeeplease Sat 04-Jun-16 14:37:47

Another thought - if you have worktop space, get a halogen oven - I use it probably more than the big oven and it's still big enough to roast a chicken, for example. Saves heating the whole oven up just for a pizza

Pepsioften100 Sat 04-Jun-16 14:48:01

The one they're taking out is a freestanding so without changing the kitchen we'd be looking at freestanding again.
There's too many options and brands? Which are best without ridiculous prices- seen some in the £1,000's that look the same as a £300 one!

Costacoffeeplease Sat 04-Jun-16 14:50:36

Halogen as well as a normal, single oven, not instead of!

SpinnakerInTheEther Sat 04-Jun-16 14:55:56

I just went mid range in terms of price. Between £500 and £600, from what I can remember. If you Google reviews of what you like the look of, that helps.

HappydaysArehere Tue 12-Jul-16 18:54:45

My Neff is wonderful. It has a pyrotechnic cleaning programme. Works like magic. You just need to remove racks and clean glass door. The rest gets clean and all you have to do is remove a little ash with a cloth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now