Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

need to overhaul cookware

(5 Posts)
DeliveredByKiki Thu 22-Oct-15 04:04:45

we've been using the same (I think) stainless steel budget saucepan set for the last 8 years since my brother left uni and upgraded himself (note I am 3 years older than him!) and various cheapo non-stick frying pans we've collected along the way that are showing serious signs of wear and tear.

Health (personal and environmental) I seem to be reading lots that says choose ceramic, SS or cast iron. I'd rather not have to use lots of oil so I suppsoe that's SS out, and probably puts ceramic above cast iron? Also Cast iron looks HEAVY so I'm erring towards ceramic but wanted other opinions...we'll probably buy a full set and seriously ALL our stuff is on it's last legs, so budget is a bit of a consideration too

Thoughts?

wowfudge Wed 18-Nov-15 19:27:52

Stainless steel every time for saucepans, with stay cool handles. They can go in the dishwasher which is the biggest plus for me, can be scrubbed and scoured without affecting the finish. I have a couple of very well-seasoned cast iron frying pans in different sizes and a wok which don't go in the dishwasher. A non-stick milk pan is a good idea for sauces and scrambled egg (hate it made in the microwave). TK Maxx is worth a look for quality stuff at reasonable prices.

Nydj Wed 18-Nov-15 19:31:36

I vote hard anodised as very easy to look after. I have had a Meyer set for over ten years and it's still going strong. I have no idea about the health aspects of them.

EwanHoozami Sun 24-Jan-16 08:30:28

What kind of job do you have?

EwanHoozami Sun 24-Jan-16 08:31:31

HOB not job grin
Your employment is not relevant

Rather whether you have induction or not

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now