Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

I want to watch Netflix BBC iplayer via the TV

(10 Posts)
MrsMarigold Wed 19-Mar-14 17:33:07

I gather there is some kind of gadget that you can plug in to do this - can anyone tell me more or advise me what to get. Laptop is a Macbook and DH has an ipad - not sure if this matters. TV is a Toshiba.

What tv service do you have? Sky offer a box that you can plug in that will do it, I'm sure the others have something similar. If not, look into this: metro.co.uk/2014/03/19/googles-chromecast-turn-a-gogglebox-into-a-googlebox-for-30-4645383/.

If you have Sky it's worth calling them up to get one rather than ordering it online... You can normally blag one for free grin

ProfYaffle Wed 19-Mar-14 17:36:32

You can get an hdmi cable to connect the laptop to the tv.

You can get an hdmi cable, but just beware that if you're watching something that's moving particularly quickly on telly (sports, action film, etc.) there is an ever-so-slight lag when it's streaming from a laptop. Not a huge deal, but just something to bear in mind. If you don't have one, they can be expensive to buy.

rachyconks Wed 19-Mar-14 17:47:31

Apple TV. Then you can AirPlay netflix etc from your devices.

TurnOffTheTv Wed 19-Mar-14 17:48:31

We have an Apple TV box that I use to airplay Netflix from my iPad

aliciaflorrick Wed 19-Mar-14 17:49:04

Or through the xbox if you have one.

MizTiggle Wed 19-Mar-14 17:50:22

I watch mine through the Wii. You can get them second hand pretty cheap now.

MrsMarigold Wed 19-Mar-14 18:05:30

Thanks so much for the advice. I don't have Sky just regular telly so I might try an HDMI cable we don't have a Wii or an Xbox and I only got a smartphone recently - I think we might be in the dark ages when it comes to technology.

jaundicedoutlook Fri 02-May-14 23:00:52

Chrome cast the cheapest option. £30. Stick into the usb behind the TV and you can stream from your I player app or website straight to TV. Also works for YouTube and other TV/video apps such as channel 4 and Netflicks. I use mine in the kitchen and wouldn't be without it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now