Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Induction hob??

(24 Posts)

Need new cooker.

Am thinking of getting an induction hob on new cooker.

Are they any good?

Think it a good idea due to them costing less to run and being cool to the touch.

Any comments gladly appreciated.

TalkinPeace Mon 23-Dec-13 22:35:44

((((((((((( Induction hobs )))))))))))
Just love mine.
Everybody I know who has them loves them
Best of all worlds

Immediate temperature control
Easy to clean
Can be used as worktop when not in use
Cannot be left on accidentally

pootlebug Mon 23-Dec-13 22:36:55

I love mine. I marginally prefer gas to cook on, but I very much prefer induction to clean....added together I'm glad I got the induction one.

HomeEcoGnomist Mon 23-Dec-13 22:50:55

Another vote for induction

Can't think of any downsides to it!

RandomMess Mon 23-Dec-13 22:52:59

Love my induction too.

Only downside is that it won't work in a power cut when gas would have. The ease of cleaning it makes it all worthwhile though grin

That's sold it then.

DH was worried about the power cut issue but I figured the car still works when there is a power cut so we covered.

RandomMess Tue 24-Dec-13 08:48:20

Ha ha love it. Other thing you can't use properly is a wok if that's an issue. My other thought is if I could have afforded it I would have had gas and induction.

bionic77 Tue 24-Dec-13 09:04:04

I love ours especially the booster rings which boil water quicker than our kettle. The only thing is don't drop anything from a great height on it - I've already replaced ours once due to a falling tin of beans!

I'll vote for induction. We replaced a gas hob with induction at our last house and it was brilliant. We have a gas hob with a wok burner at our new house and while it's good, we'd still love to have our induction hob back.

Deffo convinced guys.

Is the Rangemaster the best?

Anywhere selling them a lot cheaper or shall we stick with good old JL ?

gallicgirl Thu 26-Dec-13 16:47:37

You will need steel pans as copper bottoms don't work.

TalkinPeace Thu 26-Dec-13 16:48:13

mine is a Neff
all of my appliances are graded stock from these people
www.southerndomestic.co.uk/generic/website.asp
my hob has a dent in the bottom so was £100 off .....

ouryve Thu 26-Dec-13 16:55:18

They're fabulous. Easy to control and get the pans really hot or can go on the lowest simmer, so you can pretty much slow cook your food. And yes, they don't stay very hot for very long, so less of a worry with children or pets.

I have pans made by bialetti but no idea if they suitable ??

Seen Tefal Ingenio pans that look fab.

TalkinPeace Thu 26-Dec-13 17:16:20

the bialetti look like they are not induction friendly ....
the tefal says its ok on induction

personally I just have JL classic ...

WeAllHaveWings Thu 26-Dec-13 17:20:32

Love my induction.

I had old circulon pans, but didn't think they would work so bought a tefal set before my hob was installed. Can't find the name of them, but they were >£100 for the set. Circulon pans are heavy based, tefal much lighter.

The circulon worked, and works much better than the tefal. The circulon pans heat up much faster and the milkpan works even on the big ring, whereas the big ring doesn't even recognise the tefal small or medium pans. I rarely use the tefal ones and when I've got the spare cash will replace.

I have a Siemens - brilliant! And it came with a set of 4 pots and pans.
I have No trouble with my wok but if you want to use a cafetiere like bialetti you may have to shop around. I only found one model which was good for induction and big enough to be recognized by the stove.

Not bothered about using espresso maker, our current pans are Bialetti.
Ooohhhh will need a best induction saucepan thread I think too!

Knit2togtbl Thu 26-Dec-13 18:04:12

Tesco saucepans work on induction hobs .Not the cheap ones but the range up from that. Also our cast iron ones work too.

Knit2togtbl Thu 26-Dec-13 18:05:41

Oh and i thinly Ikea's coffee maker works too

RandomMess Thu 26-Dec-13 19:40:55

To buy pans I just went to TK Maxx armed with a magnet and bought the size of pans I actually use regularly that way. They need magnetic bottoms to make the induction hob work.

ouryve Thu 26-Dec-13 19:43:40

We have infinite circulon, plus some stainless steel Meyer pans - just been using the big steamer pan for Christmas puds!

Igletpiglet Sat 24-May-14 10:33:48

Amazing.
Have had a Belling IH60XL installed and I love it, having only cooked with gas before.
It's really not very noisy...
Love the power boost and link 2 hobs function.
Fits into a small gap ( 580 x 480 mm).
Very user friendly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now