Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Can I keep a freezer designed to be kept in a house in the garage?

(12 Posts)
Kendodd Sun 10-Nov-13 10:11:17

I'm looking for a freezer, they all say designed 'for use between 16 and 35 degrees'. What will happen if I keep it in the garage?

Beko apparently make freezers suitable for garage use e.g. beko.co.uk/Item/TFF546AP?col=&route=/Bekorange/Category-Refrigeration/Type-Freezers

ggirl Sun 10-Nov-13 20:16:10

I've had a chest freezer in the garage for years!

Rooble Sun 10-Nov-13 20:21:11

No, you can't. My friend did, and there is something to do with the insulation (?) that caused it to go wrong. When she contacted the manufacturer to complain they pointed out it was designed to be in a warm house and wouldn't work in a garage, the instructions clearly stated that, and therefore her guarantee was invalid.
I'm afraid.

ao.com/advice/freezers/buying-guide/which-freezers-can-i-keep-in-a-garage.aspx - if it gets cold your compressor may not turn on and your freezer may defrost if the freezer isnt designed for garage use.

trish5000 Sun 10-Nov-13 20:30:26

I am like ggirl. Didnt know you couldnt or were not supposed to? Been out there for years. My ils do this too.

trish5000 Sun 10-Nov-13 20:30:58

I can go and find out what make it is if anyone is interested?

cate16 Sun 10-Nov-13 20:44:08

I brought a £99 freezer from curries/comet can't remember where, I had to sign to say it was in garage when it was delivered. It's been happy in there, even during that really cold weather last year.

ggirl Sun 10-Nov-13 20:51:50

Mine has been in there for atleast 10 yrs and has never gone wrong.

damejudydench Sun 10-Nov-13 21:02:47

I had a fridge/freezer in the garage and it couldn't cope when it got really cold and started defrosting. We ended up having to bring it inside.

I would buy one specifically for the garage if I were you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now