Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Pre-lit Christmas trees?

(7 Posts)
dovaffanculo Mon 04-Nov-13 12:22:37

I saw that Asda have 6ft pre-lit trees for £35. Seems like it might do the job nicely if all you have to do is put it up and chuck a few baubles at it.

I have a massive tree that takes ages putting the branches onto the correct hanger on the trunk ,winding yards of lights around it and only then putting the decorations on.

But I am hesitating because of 3 things I cant tell from the packaging or photo on the box.
If you have one from last year can you tell me ;

1) Are 120 LED lights enough for a tree in a lit room?
2) How do the branches attach to the trunk? Are they permanently attached or not have to be hung?
3) Does the tree look nice and 'full' .

Im loathe to get rid of a perfectly lovely full big, fat, annoyingly heavy tree only to end up with a skinny thing with dim lights just to save myself an hour or so of work.

But on the other hand it would be so nice just to pull it out of the box ,straighten the branches ,fling on the decs and plug it in.(If that is indeed the case with this tree of course)

Decisions , decisions confused

AnneEyhtMeyer Mon 04-Nov-13 12:28:51

I have a 6 foot pre-lit tree and it has 800 lights on it. I wouldn't want less than 100 per foot of tree.

dovaffanculo Mon 04-Nov-13 17:15:41

Ah thats what i suspected Anne .

Can I ask where you bought your 800 light tree and how much was it? <places bet that it wasnt £35 from Asda>

AnneEyhtMeyer Mon 04-Nov-13 20:17:12

I bought it at the local garden centre and it was about £250 (although DH thinks it was £100, and he thought that was appalling!).

It is lovely though, and I will have it for years, so cost per year is reasonable I think. Well that is my story and I'm sticking to it!

I should have waited until after Christmas and bought it in the sale, but my last one (which was falling apart anyway) decided to stop lighting half the lights, and as it was the old-style bulbs was impossible to repair, so it was an emergency purchase!

goldie81 Sun 08-Dec-13 22:01:21

We brought asda pre lit last yr- it's great! Perfect amount of lights etc! If u don't like u can always take back!

ziggiestardust Sun 08-Dec-13 22:05:55

We have 500 lights on our 6ft JL tree, paid £180 4 years ago but just seen it now retails for £350!! shock

It feels about right, and it stores well. No de tangling of lights every year either!

ziggiestardust Sun 08-Dec-13 22:09:50

Oh, and ours came in 3 chunks. They attach to one another through the middle 'stalk' bit, and the lights have tiny little plugs that can nestle in the branches. The branches are on wire, and 'fluff' out if you see what I mean, and it does look quite thick and full and nice. Takes about half an hour to put up and decorate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now