Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Really fancy a Tassimo/similar coffee machine. Are they worth the money?

(17 Posts)
showmethemoneyhoney Sat 19-Oct-13 17:53:57

I love coffee and as Crimbo is fast approaching and as usual DH will not have a clue what to buy me, I was wondering if these types of machines are any good? We went to a swanky hotel once and they had one, along with a wide variety of pod things, in the room and it was rather nice and convenient. I usually use a cafetiere but get fed up can't be arsed to clean it out so it gets left on the draining board for ages and makes DH moan. Any recommendations MNers?

NigelMolesworth Sat 19-Oct-13 18:01:56

We have a Nespresso Magimix small machine with a hot milk 'kettle'. It's fab! The Nespresso ordering system is great too - v easy to do, delivery us very quick and they take the old capsules away for recycling.

TexMex Sun 20-Oct-13 09:25:54

Watching with interest as I was just going to start this very thread! Mmmm coffee!

QOD Sun 20-Oct-13 09:33:34

I have a tassimo T20, lucky enough to be a tester for Bosch thru mumsnet.
My dh was buying at least one cup outside of the house a day, often a mcdonalds one at £1.79 odd each (plus a meal half the time knowing his piggy belly)
He'd bring me one home once of twice a week too

I buy costa latte for between £4.29 and £4.99 for 8 so it saves you a fortune and tastes about 99% as good!

You also get a £20 credit on their online store with first purchase and free postage for orders over £35 I think it is? So £35 of coffee for £10 to start you off!

I genuinely think its worth buying, if you can't afford an extra £5 or so in the super market a week, maybe not though

Pagwatch Sun 20-Oct-13 09:49:48

I have had a tassimo and a nespresso

The tassimo was [meh] to be honest.
The nespresso is fab.

We have a tassimo and it works well for us. We don't drink loads of coffee though so it doesn't add a lot of cost to our shopping. I will say only the costa pods are nice. The others are crap.

I've got a Tassimo and I love it! I use it everyday for coffee and sometimes tea (the kids can make me perfect tea using that rather than kettle) and the kids sometimes have not choc as a treat from it.

I buy costa latte from Costco as it works out cheaper than from the supermarket but there are several different coffees available. I also got some disposable cups and take my latte in the car on the way to work, saves me £ from buying them out and about.

DiaryOfAWimpyMum Sun 20-Oct-13 10:21:53

Yes!! I have a Dolce Gusto and love my lattes and cappuccinos the dc have chococcinos - Ive had to allow an extra £20 for the pods though

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 01-Nov-13 21:40:54

Nespresso here, I love my machine. I have an older style machine that has the nifty converter to froth milk from cold just in the quantity you need. One day when I can I will upgrade to an automatic machine as mine is manual and I have latted the kitchen work surface on more than one occasion.

Doinmummy Sat 09-Nov-13 14:34:57

I have tried the Dolce Gusto machine- was a bit meh. Didn't make it hot enough for me

Theimpossiblegirl Sat 09-Nov-13 14:47:32

I wanted a Tassimo but ended up with a Dolce Gusto as a gift. I didn't think it would be as good but after the first luke warm latte I got the hang of it and really enjoy them.

Just ordered chococinos for the kids so they can enjoy it too.

I bought DP the Nespresso U last year with the Aerocinno milk thingy.
He worships me for it. He loves it.

Easy to order, use etc and the pods are collected and recycled. Decent variety too.

PerfectlyChaotic Sat 16-Nov-13 22:20:33

I've been debating a nespresso for DH's Christmas pressie too. Heard good reviews but (and I'm being rather selfish here) I don't drink coffee so wondering if I can justify for just 1 coffee drinker in the doesn't do hot choc or anything does it?

FortyFacedFuckers Sat 16-Nov-13 22:22:49

I have the dolce gusto and love it.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 16-Nov-13 23:54:25

I live alone my nespresso machine is my only vice, I don't drink alcohol and don't smoke - it's cheaper than either of those I spend about £4 per week on pods.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Sun 17-Nov-13 00:08:21

The Nespresso milk jug is awesome for making hot chocolate as it can whisk the milk cold or heat it up as well. Stir drinking chocolate in and away you go!

Nespresso here definitely. When I left the UK for Canada I couldn't take my machine with me due to the voltage change. I sent them an email and they offered me $100 off a new machine smile

Euphemia Sat 23-Nov-13 07:53:43

Do they make decent-sized black coffee, or espresso-sized?

How do you get your empties taken away if you're not in during the day?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now