Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Dishwasher not fit for purpose-can i get a refund

(7 Posts)
krisskross Thu 19-Sep-13 11:42:25

We've had our dishwasher for approx 18 months, having researched and found it as the Which? best buy.

However, we've had several problems with it since we bought it. Firstly, we've had numerous occasions where the tablet does not dissolve. We've had the engineer twice about this- he found no problem but both times reset the facotry settings and now it seems okay.

The bigger issue is that for most washes the dishes don't all come out spotless. Often there is food left on plates and bowls and glasses are almost always watermarked and/or dirty. I've lost track a bit but i think we've had the engineer about this too and he found no problem. We have used a range of different tablets and always top up rinse aid and salt and the problem remains.

Finally, lots of the dishes are wet when we go to put them away (which is usually several hours after wash ends as we do it overnight- so they would have had time to dry).

Oh and a few of our glasses have been completely ruined with residue that is left after washing- which looks like years of limescale build up.

We have an extended warranty (guarantee?) with John Lewis- though each time we've had to get an engineer they have told us to contact Siemens who send one free of charge.

I have had enough of it really- so my question is can i get an exchange or refund? If so, will i have to pay again to have this one removed and another fitted?

Thanks!
ps have to go now but will check messages later.

lljkk Thu 19-Sep-13 18:23:44

Are you adding salt to it, and have you set the salt dispensing levels correctly?

krisskross Thu 19-Sep-13 21:16:13

Yes and the engineer redid the settings so.I assume they're correct....

pmgkt Thu 19-Sep-13 21:23:42

They should be set according to your water type not factory standard settings. Have you cleaned the filters cos I had a similar problem with mine and cleaned them in fairy liquid and been fine since. Especially if they get a layer of fat over them. I'm sure you have but just checking.

lljkk Fri 20-Sep-13 06:41:06

You need to get online & check the water hardness levels from your supplier, I doubt engineer did that. Your salt dispensing levels must be set to match that, check manual for instructions.

Are you using that water rinse stuff, RinseAid?

Yes it sounds like a pants machine, surprised you've stuck it this long.

doodles123 Fri 17-Jan-14 17:24:40

Do you have to use 1 litre of water with the salt every time you use the machine. Just got my dishwasher today

Norudeshitrequired Fri 17-Jan-14 17:32:48

Build up on glasses happens in most dishwashers after a while. I tend to give the glasses a hand wash once a month or when they have a bit of build up. The glasses are not damaged it's just a bit of residue that is easy to remove.
As for the plates coming out with food on: do you rinse them before putting them in the dishwasher? Do you remove the filter and wash it weekly? Do you use a dishwasher cleaner once a month to clear all the grease and build up from the pipes? Are you stacking the dishwasher correctly?
Most dishwashers leave some dishes unclean sometimes bit they should be clean the vast majority of the time and they should be dry all of the time as long as you use the correct programme.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now