Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Kitchen knives for 'little cooks'

(4 Posts)
chilledmama Sun 15-Sep-13 16:47:33

Evening all...
I'm looking for some advice...My DS (almost 7) has finally taken a liking for cooking. I'm really happy to encourage him in the kitchen but not happy to give him my kitchen knivesshock. Equally, using a butter knife (or equivalent) is probably more dangerous because it's so blunt! So my question to all of you...What knives to do you let your 'little cooks' use??smile
TIA

mercibucket Sun 15-Sep-13 16:49:17

we got one from the pampered chef that cuts carrots etc but is too blunt to cut fingers

ChunkyPickle Sun 15-Sep-13 16:59:08

I got DS a lettuce knife which he uses to help me with veg - the little pampered chef things are good (he uses them at nursery), but nothing beats the look of glee on his face as he gets handed a 10 inch long, bright green plastic knife (like mummies... although hers is metal) - I think that if he sawed hard he could hurt himself, but he's not managed it yet.

ChunkyPickle Sun 15-Sep-13 17:00:06

Oh, I didn't read - my DS is 3 - at 7 couldn't he just carefully use a real knife? I was definitely cooking dinners/puddings and using real knives at that age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now