Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Can someone tell me about condenser dryers?!

(12 Posts)
BoffinMum Wed 28-Aug-13 23:32:14

Vented are quicker and cheaper to run, condensers tidier to install.

arbydad Wed 28-Aug-13 23:23:30

Guess your sorted but I'll add mine anyway, we shopped around and went for beko in the end, seemed best compromise between price, user ratings and energy efficiency (I forget the model number though).

As we've had both vented and condensing you should be aware that condensers, although much more efficient these days, will raise the temperature and humidity in the room it's in. Cheap heating in winter but not so great in summer if it's raining outside.

Thank you everyone! Mn to the rescue as normal lol grin

You can get different energy ratings so A will be cheaper to run than C for example.
I find ours quicker to try but only got a really old vented one to compare it too.

I was thinking of paying a bit extra for one with a sensor - that must save some money rather than it keeping going!

Do you all find them expensive to run? I can't do without it really but would like to be prepared for the cost!

CheungFun Sun 16-Jun-13 18:00:22

Can I ask a question too...someone at work said that condenser tumble dryers take twice as long to dry as the normal types - is this true? I've promised myself a tumble dryer when we move house smile

LondonBus Sun 16-Jun-13 17:59:47

I loved mine, and wish DH hadn't insisted on replacing it with a vented one, just because a vent was in place.

Can't remember what make it was, as I bought it before I was a Bosch convert.

We have a siemens one. Paid extra for one with a sensor so it automatically stops so I don't have to keep checking on it.
Only bought it a few months ago to replace a very old vented one and very happy with it. Bought ours in John Lewis as they had a special deal with extra warranty and cash back. If they didn't have that we would have bought a Bosch one.

mrsyattering Sun 16-Jun-13 17:54:43

I have an Indesit one, couldn't live without it in the winter, small house no room for a clothes airer. Just empty the water tray and defluff as Chottie says

hermioneweasley Sun 16-Jun-13 17:52:40

I have a Beko one. As above, just empty the tray. It seems pretty efficient to me!

Chottie Sun 16-Jun-13 17:50:36

Hello, I have one. It is Miele. I am very pleased with it, all you have to do is to empty the water tray and defluff the filter regularly. There is no pipe out of the window. It is quiet, efficient and has various settings for the degree of drying you require.

Looking for a condenser dryer as our baby is due in November and anticipating a lot more washing!

Can anybody recommend a brand they like? I'd say we would probably go for a larger drum model over something too compact.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now