Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Sewing machine recommendations

(4 Posts)
Crossandratty Tue 28-May-13 14:27:54

Am a total novice, so want something simple, reliable and that I will be able to do curtains/blinds/kids clothes on. Thanks!

Oblomov Tue 28-May-13 14:34:08

Watching with interest.

louisea Tue 28-May-13 15:01:40

Also watching with interest. I keep asking around when visiting John Lewis or craft shows. Janome seems to be a favourite at the moment. It would probably be advisable to purchase something that allows for changing the stitch length in addition to stitch type. Basic machines don't allow for that.

I'm still keeping my eye open for my 'perfect' machine.

PiHigh Wed 29-May-13 16:15:20

I really love my Janome 8077.

The things I like about it are:
Top loading bobbin - can see how much thread is left on it
Speed limiter - I find this really helpful
Can change the length and width of the straight stitch (I like to be able to change the width as I quilt so need a 1/4 inch seam allowance)
Needle up/down button - I find this really useful at corners for pivoting (pressit and the needle goes down, press again it goes up iyswim so easy to get to the right place without going too far) but also for quilting (basically you can set it so that the needle finishes in the down position)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now