Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Would a compact dishwasher be any good for a family of 3?

(6 Posts)
MorphsMum Mon 18-Mar-13 21:47:15

Renting and no room, need one that would attach to the taps.
There's me and 2 small DC - is it worth it?
I seem to spend hours washing up so think it would be, not sure how often I would need to have it on though.
Anyone got one and can advise?

gemma4d Mon 18-Mar-13 22:10:16

Do you mean a really compact (ie table top) one? Do you cook or eat ready meals? If you eat ready meals, it might be worth it. Anything else, I'd say no: no way you will get pots & pans in it, so you are going to have to fill the sink and wash up regardless. Even then, you would have to put it on twice a day absolute minimum.

If you mean slimline (which I have), then better than nothing but I still end up doing washing up daily as I can't get one days' dishes, cutlery and pans in it - and I draw the line at putting it on twice a day!

33goingon64 Mon 18-Mar-13 22:49:55

I have a slimline Bosch and we are a family of 3. We don't put pots and pans in, just crockery, cutlery, cups and glasses, utensils. It goes on every day now that I am at home full time but when I worked it was more like every 36- 48 hours.

DeepRedBetty Mon 18-Mar-13 22:52:09

The sort that go on the taps, on the draining board or a work surface don't really make life any easier. Just take up space and take forever to do a tiny amount.

MorphsMum Tue 19-Mar-13 08:33:10

Ok, thanks (sorry I went to bed early last night so only replying now). Still abit undecided though the consensus here seems to be no as we don't eat ready meals, though I slow-cook a lot and won't mind washing up the slow-cooking pot if that's all I have to wash. Couldn't fit in a slimline, only a table-top one that goes on the taps.

BertieBotts Tue 19-Mar-13 08:35:08

My friend has one and she has a DP and 2 DC and finds it helpful.

I have a slimline and just swap the pipes over with the washing machine when I want to use either as couldn't get hold of a Y-adapter. It works fine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now