Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Life without non-stick pans?

(8 Posts)
misscph1973 Wed 06-Mar-13 09:54:31

ArbitraryUsername, thanks for the recommendation. I don't live very close to an Ikea, but I might see if I can find them on ebay from Ikea-sellers.

I am seriously thinking of getting a stainless steel pan instead of a non-stick. I don't mind using more oil/fat, I just hate when food sticks!

Well done, AnnIonicIsoTronic, how do you manage to get your non-stick pan to last that long, is there a secret?

AnnIonicIsoTronic Wed 06-Mar-13 08:32:13

My non stick pan has lasted 10 years. I bought it from an Asian grocers for £5.

I'm trying to get rid of my remainng non-stick pans (because they're all crap) and replace with normal ones. The ikea 365+ steel pans are good and within your budget. They have steel handles so they can go in the oven as well as on the hob.

ChocolateCoins Wed 06-Mar-13 08:26:08

They actually aren't too bad. Although I admit I did have to tighten the handles once as they became a bit loose, which took 30 seconds. Their frying pans aren't very good though.

I wasn't actually intending to keep them to be honest. They were meant to just tide us over when we moved house, but ended up keeping them.

misscph1973 Tue 05-Mar-13 20:21:48

ChocolateCoins, I have been thinking of something similar ;) How are the Asda pans in use? Are they not terribly light and flimsy?

haggisaggis, I would be interested to know what type of frying pans your Cook school had? And what kin dof pans are your pans that are not non-stick?

haggisaggis Tue 05-Mar-13 15:28:59

Apart from frying pans which are non - stick, none of our other pans are - BUT they are all good quality and were the most expensive we could afford at the time. I have been on a couple of cooking days at a Cook School and they did not use non-stick pans but again the ones they did use were really high quality. If browning meat or chicken, I always wait until teh meat has started to caramelise before stirring - as by that time the meat has built up abit of a "skin" and no longer sticks. Scrambled egg gets stirred non stop though - and a bit of butter helps to stop it sticking. (and then asoak in hot water to get it clean)
I wouldn't go back to non stick now

ChocolateCoins Tue 05-Mar-13 15:14:28

Probably not the answer you're looking for but I buy asda smart price pans. grin 3 for £6.50 I think? I've just brought some new ones as my last ones were starting to peel at the bottom if you know what I mean? I had them for just over a year and use them daily.

misscph1973 Tue 05-Mar-13 14:41:12

I am so FED UP with non-stick pans lasting a year or less! I have tried every brand and it's the same, cheap or expensive, they just don't last. I am very careful, I don't wash them (only by hand) until they have cooled down, I don't let them heat up with nothing in, I use wood utensils etc. The only thing I do do is use them daily and I guess they weren't made for that, grrr!

I have a blue steel pan which I love, but it's just not for everything, certainly not starchy things like hash browns and not for scrambled eggs or fish either.

Is there a life without non-stick pans? Has anyone managed to live without non-stick pans? And if so, what do you use and how?

Disclaimer: I am not looking at spending more than £20-30.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now