Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Tumble dryer??

(5 Posts)
BobandBenway Thu 14-Feb-13 12:15:16

We've survived for years without one, but with no. 4 on the way and constant rain, I'm giving in! However, never had one before so need some help please!

I'm thinking about a condenser, as we have a space for it. Could rearrange the kitchen to put a vented one in, but I'd rather not have the hassle unless they are substantialy cheaper and/or more efficient & reliable.

I'm not sure whether it's worth paying more for a better brand, or buying a cheaper one and accepting we'll need a new one in a few years - which works out better? I'd rather pay more for a good, reliable machine, but dp thinks we should just get a cheap one as it's not worth paying double. A few years ago we bought a Siemens washing machine but to be honest, we don't notice much difference to the cheapo one we had had for years before that. However, I'd still rather pay more for a machine that lasts as apart from anything else, it just seems more environmentally responsible!

I also think I should get as high an energy rating as I can - I know we've survived without a tumble dryer so far, but I just know that once we get it, we'll be using it all the time! I've never had one before so I have no idea how much they cost to run and how much more expensive a C or D rated one will be to run compared to an A rated one? Is the saving in running cost worth paying more for an A rated machine?

I've been looking at these ones to start with:

www.johnlewis.com/231656615/Product.aspx

www.johnlewis.com/231508100/Product.aspx

www.johnlewis.com/231757320/Product.aspx

www.johnlewis.com/231615437/Product.aspx

Anyone any advice?

Thanks smile

bootsycollins Thu 14-Feb-13 12:23:53

Go with the Bosch, seriously excellent dryer. Really drys brilliantly as opposed to just taking hours to achieve hot steamy damp creased washing. Has a sensor timer too so just chuck it in and let the magic happen smile

BobandBenway Fri 15-Feb-13 15:35:38

Thanks!

After doing some number crunching, realised that the cheaper models just aren't worth it due to ongoing running costs.

The John Lewis one comes out best overall so think I may go with that, though really prefer the Siemens and the Bosch. Does anyone have a John Lewis tumble dryer? What do you think?

knitterati Tue 26-Feb-13 19:17:56

I have a JL washer/dryer. Would recommend - v quiet & efficient, with a great drum size. Think the JL branded white goods are made by AEG anyhow.

MUMMYDUDE Sat 13-Apr-13 22:27:03

We have a large capacity Zanussi 7kg sensor dryer. We have a large capacity washing machine too so with all the washing that the kids generate I can more done at once. When I picked ours, I concentrated on the models with the larger capacity - better for large bedding items too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now