Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Those lights that come on when your car pulls into the drive?

(15 Posts)
LaTrucha Tue 12-Feb-13 19:51:16

We want a light that will help when we're pulling the car into the drive. I think DH has got it in his head that you can have ones that come on at the beginning of the driveand will sense your car before it turns in, IYSWIM.

As far as I can see, you have a choice between solar lights (those spike type things) that would go along the drive and be on all the time in darkness and a light attached to the house which would only be useful once you were already in (ie. they wouldn't help you judge the opening to the drive).

Or, perhaps the magic thing that DH wants does exist. Do you know ?

BertieBotts Tue 12-Feb-13 19:53:30

A motion sensor?

BertieBotts Tue 12-Feb-13 19:53:53

I guess you could look for one with a far enough range.

JustCallMeFish Tue 12-Feb-13 19:57:26

It's a security light with a motion sensor surely?

We have one for the back garden.

LaTrucha Tue 12-Feb-13 19:57:27

Yes, that sort of thing. The only ones I've seen only have a 3m range and our drive is just long enough for two cars, so if it was on the house, it wouldn't sense far enough.

LaTrucha Tue 12-Feb-13 20:09:52

I quite like it for the security aspect of the thing too.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 12-Feb-13 20:13:42

Lots of PIR lights on Screwfix Direct that have a 12m range.

LaTrucha Tue 12-Feb-13 20:14:38

Ooo thanks. Will look. Is that going to piss the neighbours off, do you think?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 12-Feb-13 20:16:08

Just had another idea, if 12m isn't a big enough range you can buy a separate PIR sensor and get it wired up to the light.

Thing is, if it senses you coming up to the drive it will also sense everyone walking past on the pavement, won't it?

We've just got one to light up our front steps, and we adjusted it to come on as we come up the path - but I wouldn't want it coming on as we were walking along the pavement to the front gate.

Doingfine Tue 12-Feb-13 20:19:43

you can set the lights to go on for only as long as it takes to get through the door so neighbours tend to be pretty much ok. Passing felines also set them off tho and you don't want the sensor being set off by passers by.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 12-Feb-13 20:20:27

We've got a bulkhead light with a sensor, it isn't as powerful as a floodlight so it doesn't light up the neighbourhood like a football pitch.

JustCallMeFish Tue 12-Feb-13 20:52:21

You can angle most if them I think so passers by doesn't set it off, but you would have to consider neighbours on the opposite side (facing) your house-if you have any.

Might sound silly but they may well notice the light shining on and off if its facing them.

Because they can be sensitive (the lights). Ours goes off with foxes, cats etc.

LaTrucha Tue 12-Feb-13 21:45:36

I think the way to go may be to hve thse little solar post lights to mark out the drive and a sensor light by the door for security. I do wonder if those solar post lights are at all bright though.

BrendaB85 Mon 04-Mar-13 09:47:08

We use solar posts.They are 100 per cent bright enough. We bought them a while back from Home Bargains, they should still be in stock. If not, try B&Q.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now