Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Nespresso machine or similar.

(17 Posts)
Arisbottle Sat 26-Jan-13 16:29:18

I am sat here reading and craving a big mug of a decent cappuccino . As I am quite happy here chilling on my sofa I do not want to leave the house for it and secondly I don't want to have to pay a company like Starbucks any money for one. Partly for tax reasons but also there are 8 of us so it costs a bloody fortune.

Are those machines any good. Don't really want to pay £400 for one of the super machines and also don't have room iin my kitchen.

Pagwatch Sat 26-Jan-13 16:32:13

I got a nespresso for Christmas. It was about £200 I think and has the whippy cappuccino function.
I have to say it is really good because it is really simple and easy to clean.

I woud like a proper cappuccino machine but the nespresso is really convenient and produces an excellent coffee.

Tassimo machines are shite btw.

Arisbottle Sat 26-Jan-13 16:33:39

Thanks, am I better off just getting a gaggia one?

Arisbottle Sat 26-Jan-13 16:34:01

Easy to clean sounds good.

sewandsew Sat 26-Jan-13 16:37:14

I've had a fiddly manual type one and now have a nespresso. I am a massive fan and love the ease of it. Quick, simple and no faffing. Great coffee too.....

Pagwatch Sat 26-Jan-13 16:44:04

If you want to do the spouty thing in the milk and froth it up by hand get a 'real' machine. But you need to spend quite a lot to get decent pressure (I think that why. Certainly my cheap machines have been a bit farty and fiddly)
But the nespresso whips the milk to a perfect froth then you just rinse the container for next time.
Plus you can froth cold milk for frappucinos. I haven't done that yet. It's too cold.

kiwigirl42 Sat 26-Jan-13 16:59:31

if you want a 'proper' espresso machine, the recommended best entry point machine is a Gaggia Classic. There is a lot of information over at coffeeforums.co.uk/forum.php

I have a good grinder and use a clever coffee dripper and it makes quick and easy filter coffee - i can add hot frothed milk etc as I go.

Saying that, I keep eyeing a Nespresso just for pure laziness!

Arisbottle Sat 26-Jan-13 17:02:56

According to Which the Gaggia Baby Class is ranked number one best buy at £300, but it says difficult to clean which is putting me off.

Number 2 is a magimix eco espresso at £120.

Arisbottle Sat 26-Jan-13 17:04:48

That is a good price, although there is an irony in avoiding Starbucks for tax reasons and then buying a machine from Amazon. grin

DameFanny Sat 26-Jan-13 17:14:38

I don't understand the pasting 200 quid for a machine that ties you into a limited choice of over-priced pods tbh.

And if it's ethical shopping you're after, a Nestle machine and non-fair-trade coffee's not a good combination.

If you've got a John Lewis near you have a wander in and see what your money will get you?

DameFanny Sat 26-Jan-13 17:15:22

That's 'paying', not 'pasting'. [sigh]

twentyten Sat 26-Jan-13 17:17:43

Love our nespresso-but use separate milk frother to make cleaning easier!

Pagwatch Sat 26-Jan-13 17:25:33

Whats wrong with the nespresso frother. I thought the 'rinse and it's clean for next time' frother was the best bit of the whole machine tbh.

Arisbottle Sat 26-Jan-13 17:28:13

Good point damefanny, I think I may give up .

DameFanny Sat 26-Jan-13 18:34:26

Noooo... Go have a play in John Lewis - they've even got a deal on a delonghi with an auto cappuccino setting for less than 300...

Arisbottle Sat 26-Jan-13 19:03:59

My birthday is coming up, I may ask for one for then . Saves me having to do all the hunting.

That will shock DH!

twentyten Sun 27-Jan-13 18:34:21

Our old nespresso machine had a frother that was really hard to clean-so the aerolatte(I think) jug is great-good for hot choc too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now