Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Is my dryer dead?

(6 Posts)
ninja Thu 24-Jan-13 09:52:19

It's 15 years old and squealing as it goes round - not a good sign is it sad

I cope without using it a lot of the time but DD1 has worms which means washing everything, everyday for the next week or so and I could really do with it.

Why choose now to die!?

Is there any hope?

digerd Thu 24-Jan-13 10:56:17

My drier lasted only 5 years - it is a combined washer/dryer. Washer was repaired every 2 years, while under the extended 5 year guarantee, and is now 15 years old.
Didn't make any strange noises just refused to heat up after the guarantee was up< of course>.
15 years for a washine machine and drier is good going, But can't hell with repairing of it. But obviously either broken down or just an electrical fault.

digerd Thu 24-Jan-13 10:57:00

oops "help" not " hell".

ninja Thu 24-Jan-13 11:03:16

I'm thinking that it's probably not worth risking getting someone out to look at it and repair it, probably not much more to get a new one

Just after Christmas too - damn ....

MsPickle Thu 24-Jan-13 13:03:31

We kept an old one going a bit longer by doing a DIY belt change. It's a right faff but a good you tube video and a determination that £20 or so for a new belt vs a new machine at that point was worth it. We got a new machine when it failed again but we had the funds then. I feel your pain, we're in a flat and now dryer makes life very awkward as we duck under drying laundry everywhere! It's on our homecare policy now!

digerd Thu 24-Jan-13 15:38:01

I don't need a dryer and consumes loads of electricity, but miss the towels not coming out of it all fluffy and soft. Mine works but only produces cold air, so imagine it is electrical.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now