Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Stick blenders yay or nay?

(16 Posts)
sthornton1 Thu 28-Feb-13 10:23:54

i am looking for a blender to puree our food for our son as dont really want to keep him on baby food please could recommend one!

Shesparkles Tue 22-Jan-13 12:18:16

I have a Kenwood tri-blade too and it really is the dogs bollocks!
A major bonus is that it has a potato mashing attachment and it does the best mash ever-better and easier than a ricer!

Beehatch Tue 22-Jan-13 12:15:28

Thanks for all the replies this is really useful. Though Braun sounds like it could be a quality product of it's lasting you so long. Torn on the accessories thing as I love a good gadget. But I'm fairly certain I'm just too lazy to get a whole gadget out when I can just reach for the balloon whisk hanging on the utensil rack! I don't like chopping onions though, such a dilemma...

OldBeanbagz Tue 22-Jan-13 11:27:27

Whichever one you go for, get one with a stainless stick. My white one is terribly stained sad

CMOTDibbler Tue 22-Jan-13 11:25:05

I've got the Braun one too, and its brilliant, and has lasted really well in spite of being overused!

LakeFlyPie Tue 22-Jan-13 11:04:15

I've got a Braun (500W) one with attachments as 5MadThings describes. Use it everyday smoothies, soups, jug attachments (large and small) serve as simple food processor / herb chopper and it has a whisk attachment too for cream, pancake batter etc.
Had mine for nearly 10 yrs and still going strong.
So that's a Yay smile

I have a Braun one, similar to this. I don't use the whisl very often, although it's handy for meringue but I use the tall glass with the stick blender to make smoothies for breakfast and love the little food processor thing, as you can use it to grate cheese to be added into sauces (it's a bit lumpy for sandwiches) and for making breadcrumbs.

I got mine about 6 / 7 years ago with Christmas money and it's one of the best things I've ever got with Christmas money over the years.

Beehatch Tue 22-Jan-13 10:56:38

Yay more replies. Have to say I'm veering towards the Kenwood, should still be able to get something in the sales too if I'm quick!

AnneEyhtMeyer Tue 22-Jan-13 10:42:44

I have the Kenwood tri-blade and it is fantastic. I even use it with the whisk on to make cakes when I can't be bothered getting the Chef out.

cassell Tue 22-Jan-13 10:15:34

I've got a Phillips one, can't remember what the model was but it's 600w and has a turbo boost, only one basic attachment so doesn't take up much room but does a great job and I use it loads.

Beehatch Tue 22-Jan-13 10:12:13

Any other recommendations before I do something rash?

5madthings Mon 21-Jan-13 21:56:14

I also have a Braun one, it came with the blade attachment and a whisk attachment and a jar/jug you can use for blending but I just blend stuff in the saucepan.

Beehatch Mon 21-Jan-13 21:51:57

OK, sounds good that I might not extra attachments - my cupboards can't take it anyway (too full of other crap I've got suckered into buying!)

Anyone else got any recommendations?

I bought the ken wood triblade 2 weeks ago - it's the dogs bollocks, it's bloody fantastic !

I dithered and dithered as I wanted a Bamix but the reviews of the kenwood was so good I bought it - from amazon for about 47 quid.

I've only used 2 of the attachments, just slung the rest in a bag - frankly they are just free ones but look fine.

BertieBotts Mon 21-Jan-13 21:26:48

I have a Braun one - just have the basic attachment and use it loads.

I think you're right in picking up that the attachments are where you waste money/space - just get one with the basic attachment and then buy more as and when you need them.

Beehatch Mon 21-Jan-13 21:22:52

Do you have one you can recommend?

I need something to improve my sauces and soups. I used to have a cheapy stick blender that had loads of attachements that I never used, and it was actually crap at blending soups - left big chunks. I don't have space for clutter either so don't want to get a liquidiser or food processor.

Have seen the Kenwood Triblade basic model - are they any good?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now