Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Which steam mop?

(12 Posts)
WiseKneeHair Mon 14-Jan-13 12:39:16

I got the shark 2 in 1 from Lakeland which was £140, but brilliant. Cleans my tiles really well, easily and quickly. It has a hand held bit which I have used on the grouting on the shower which was amazing.
If you aren't bother by the handheld bit, Lakeland have got a shark one for £79.99 at the moment.

Just bought the Black & Decker one and been steaming all weekend. I got so confused by all the different kinds and various reviews that in the end I just decided to get the first one I found. The model is FSM1600D and is only an upright floor model - no hand held attachment. It came with four pads, and a carpet glider.

It takes 1/2 litre of water, heats up in 15 seconds and is good to go. It has a good swivel head and a long cable, with three different settings for marble, tile and wood floors. It easily does my (quite big) downstairs floors and it doesn't leave them sopping wet afterwards. There's good oomph with the steam. My only complaint is that it hasn't cleaned my grouting in my tiled floors like I thought it would - I was expecting instant white. But maybe you have to give them a couple of gos. But the floors are noticeably cleaner and I like that I'm not using chemicals. You have to change the floor pad during the cleaning process (unless you've hoovered brilliantly beforehand and not sloppily like me ) otherwise you're just moving little fluffballs around the floor.

I can recommend it, if you're not bothered about having a hand held attachment. It certainly seems sturdy and worth the money. I read a number of reviews of the X5 from the shopping channel and it didn't seem like it would last - I think the Black & Decker will.

ChristianGreyIsAJackass Mon 14-Jan-13 12:17:03

Ooh i am looking at the x5 one, subbing fr info smile

difficultpickle Tue 01-Jan-13 17:09:07

Are they any good at shifting limescale?

neuroticmumof3 Tue 01-Jan-13 16:59:50

I've tried Black and Decker and several from home shopping channels, all pants. For the past year I have had a Vax one. It's bloody brilliant. Bought extra pads for it very cheaply on Amazon. I love it. They're half price in Tesco atm.

aprilrain Wed 26-Dec-12 22:12:53

Marking place - I want one too. Have heard Lakeland do a good one - anyone got that?

paneer Wed 26-Dec-12 21:58:08

I have the VAX one from Argos, which has a separate hand held machine. I like both bits and have no complaints but not used another to compare with.

It's light, the cord seems long enough, same amount of unplugging/plugging as my vacuum cleaner. Heats up quickly and the tank easily does my downstairs.

sausagesandwich34 Wed 26-Dec-12 21:55:43

I've got a shark that I got in Homebase for about £80

it doesn't have any fancy heads or anything but is pretty good and it's soo much easier giving my kitchen floor a quick go over than having to get the bloody mop out and then keeping the cat out and the dcs until the floor is dry!

Was just about to post similar myself - saw an advert for the X5 the other day and am considering it too. Wondered if anyone had better recommendations...

StuntNun Thu 29-Nov-12 17:45:44

I'm getting the X5 one you see on the shopping channel.

Really? No one has any suggestions?

<sigh>

Hi,

I'm thinking if getting a steam mop. Should I? And if so, which ones are best? Budget anything up to £100ish I guess unless it makes cups of tea and empties the dishwasher for me too grin

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now