Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Bath-mounted changing table

(10 Posts)
Ollienor Wed 31-Oct-12 21:44:33

Hi all,
I'm a first time mum in a very small flat with an even smaller bathroom. There simply isn't room for a changing table in the bathroom and with only one bedroom we don't really want to put it there either... (May allow at least one of us to continue sleeping).
I remember seeing a changing table once which was mounted on top of a bathtub at a good height and believe that would be ideal for our purposes.
HOWEVER .. The only one I can find online is nearly 100 pounds incl postage.

Has anyone got any experience using changing tables such as these?
Surely there are more brands and models out there? Or other solutions I should consider?
And should you have one lying around that I could buy off you....?!

- either way appreciate your help ;)

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Wed 31-Oct-12 21:46:01

wall mounted?

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Wed 31-Oct-12 21:47:04

However, we just had the changing mat on the floor. One downstairs in the living room, and one in the bathroom, together with all sorts of baby change paraphernalia at hand. Much easier, as baby cant roll off and get hurt!

nancy75 Wed 31-Oct-12 21:48:02

Change the baby on the bed and bath them in the proper bath. We bought the bath/ changing table, the table itself was fine bit the bath was a pain,the lid didn't sat y open properly and getting the water out of the bath bit always ended up with a soaking floor!

RyleDup Wed 31-Oct-12 21:48:46

Would you not use a mat on the floor which you can hide under the sofa afterwards?

CagneyNLacey Wed 31-Oct-12 21:51:10

We bought a cot top changer and never used it at all, not even once. Waste of money. You can change the baby on your lap, the floor, the sofa, bed, anywhere.

Ollienor Wed 31-Oct-12 22:13:19

Thanks for all your replies!!
We're not allowed wall mounted as we are renting.
Wouldn't you get a backace doing it on the floor the whole time? Also thought having access to water near where you are changing could be handy for the worst case scenarios.. Maybe I'm expecting that need to be greater than it is?!
Kitchen bench is the only other potential when you do need water, which I'm not all that sure about..

Don't have room for a normal changing table with or without a bath - so bathtub-mounted or on the floor (w/o access to water) are our only options..
Thoughts?

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Thu 01-Nov-12 09:20:04

Naturally you are sitting on the floor, not standing bending down. I did not find it a problem, as it is usually a quick affair, and you move about a bit too.
You have access to water in the bathroom.

However, with a newborn, it should be boilt cooled water, so many people use a "top and tail bowl" and cotton balls rather than a flannel. You wash the face in water from the Top end of the bowl, and the bottom with water in the Tail end of the bowl.

Also many people use nappy wipes, such as Huggies, or Pampers (Pampers are vile, chemical try put it to your nose, it STINGS)

MrsHoarder Thu 01-Nov-12 09:32:14

If baby is above floor level then by the time they are ~5 weeks you can't take a hand off them to get to water. Plus in the event of horrendous explosions everywhere I have been known to put baby in empty bath whilst I try to work out what to do about poo everywhere (and I do mean everywhere, all over me, cotton wool container, in the water, over the mat, over him...).

And bathtop sounds worse for back than floor tbh: think about spending 5 mins working at that height, its not good. We have a cheap changing mat on top of a chest of drawers in baby's room, depends on how much space you have in the bedroom. Nighttime nappy changes have been rare (maybe 3-4 in 5 months) so disturbing sleep with a nappy change has never been a worry.

As for water, we have a lidless tupperware next to the mat, water was originally changing before every nappy, but is now changed daily.

NellyBluth Thu 01-Nov-12 10:03:14

I know the type you mean, we nearly had one second-hand but decided it was a waste.

Just change them on the floor, it really is easier. You can have a nice basket to put all the nappies and wipes etc in to make it tidier, and at the end of the day you just tuck the change mat away. We used to have a flask of warm water and a bowl available for bum washing, you we were lucky that baby had no problem with wipes and so we moved to them quite earlier. They learn to roll so quickly and IMHO change tables become a bit of a hassle, even a danger, very early on.

For bathing, we bathed baby in the bathroom sink for the first month or so, and then bought one of those towelling deckchair thingies (like this for the next few months, then moved to a bath seat. Since we stopped using the sink we actually shower baby, which she loves - she tries to catch the water coming out of the showerhead, and also it has the added benefit of meaning she doesn't even notice having water on her face and eyes now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now