Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

How long do you think a fridge should last?

(11 Posts)
shelsco Thu 30-Aug-12 21:15:57

we bought a beko fridge 3 years ago and after 6 months the handle snapped off. We got it replaced under guarantee and the new handle lasted a year before that too cracked and snapped off. I complained under the sale of goods act that it was not satisfactory quality and they fitted a new handle. Now 2 years later this new handle has cracked and needs replacing. I wrote to comet to complain but they have said they have no obligation to replace it again. Consumer direct told me that it should last longer than 2 years and it sounds faulty but The onus is on me to prove it. How on earth would I do that? Any ideas anyone? I could just leave it but I'm just fed up of buying goods that are obviously not built to last!

toldmywrath Fri 31-Aug-12 19:39:31

Not much help but I don't think you'll get anywhere with this one. Beko have a bad reputation (weren't they the ones involved in the fire outbreaks-or was that the freezer)Sorry to not be much help.

fatbottomedmavis Fri 31-Aug-12 19:49:10

Our Liebherr lasted seven years with no need for any repairs and as far as I know the people who bought our house are still using it. I'd expect 10 years at least out of a Liebherr, perhaps another ten after that if it is serviced/parts replaced.

I've not heard of Beko, but that does sound poor.

vodkaanddietirnbru Tue 18-Sep-12 18:56:10

our last beko fridge freezer lasted at least 7 or 8 years before we replaced it (it still worked but we wanted a new one). We've never had one with a handle - it is more like a groove along the top or bottom of the doors.

moleskin Sat 20-Oct-12 18:40:29

A fridge should last ages! Mine has been going ten years!

bureni Sat 20-Oct-12 18:47:06

I am surprised a Beko lasted more than a year, dangerous cheap things. The auto defrost models are responsible for several deaths since they go on fire, total rubbish hence the price.

bureni Sat 20-Oct-12 18:50:46
bureni Sat 20-Oct-12 18:54:50
BikeRunSki Sat 20-Oct-12 19:00:17

Our Bosch is 12 years old. DS pulled the handle off about 2 years ago by swinging on it.

RoxyRobin Sat 20-Oct-12 19:04:10

We had a cheapo Electrolux fridge-freezer which gave up on us last month after 15 years, therefore lasting longer than our previous Bosch.

SundaeGirl Sat 20-Oct-12 19:09:43

'Durability' is section 14 subsection (2B) (e) of the SOGA and as you can see from this thread, a fridges's handle should last more than 2years. Not durable.

Your complaint actually began 6 months in and this is the very same complaint - ie the fridge door opening isn't fit for purpose. Hence the two year thing shouldn't count. Under EU Law you are merely running through your contract options giving them a chance to repair the fridge or now replace the fridge or, now, give you your money back and take the fridge away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now