Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Dualit toasters -worth the money?

(56 Posts)
tubsywubsy Mon 28-May-12 18:22:24

We've got through loads of toasters in the past few years. They always seem to short out /go up in flames/just stop working. Our current model is the worst ever, it takes an age to toast bread to a satisfactory degree and the slots are too small for most slices, so you have to stop half way and turn the bread around to get it evenly toasted.Every time we go to buy a new one, we look at the Dualit toasters, but baulk at the price. I guess though, we could have bought one by now with the amount we've shelled out for all the others. So, are they any good and should we go for one this time? Your advice/ experiences would be very welcome.

PigletJohn Thu 27-Dec-12 10:16:43

You don't have to buy a new one, you just repair it.

That's the whole point.

RooneyMara Thu 27-Dec-12 10:15:29

We got one about a year ago after I saved up a load of M&S gift cards for a couple of years, and using a special offer code. (could never find any clothes I liked in there!)

It's really good...saying that I had our Morphy Richards one for about 7 years before that, and it's still fine, and in the cupboard as a spare blush but the dualit does 4 slices and is brill.

The timer used to annoy me but now I appreciate being able to set it for specific bread types etc. Only thing is I worryabout using it for two slices, as it says using the slots without any bread in them can damage the elements, and I know it heats up one side of the third slot iyswim. Sometimes I bung in the end bit of bread which gets toasted on one side.

jlearner Thu 27-Dec-12 09:59:27

I got mine as a wedding present in 1995 and it's only just starting to show it's age, I think the elements are finally going, but it's been completely amazing for 17 years and outlasted my marriage by a decade. I'm definitely going to replace it with another Dualit, just got to decide which one.

Bluegrass Thu 01-Nov-12 09:58:16

You see them a lot in cafe's, hotels, even in the halls of residence at my old uni - lots of places where durability and cost rather than "style" are a big consideration. Often they are old warhorses too that have clearly been there for years. I think that is a good sign.

noddyholder Thu 01-Nov-12 09:29:55

i think the toast stays hotter longer

Disappointedbuyer Thu 01-Nov-12 09:29:46

The one I am looking at is a 4 slice NewGen which is not the cheaper model. Should I avoid it? I can't find the original one in the shops any more.

IAmSheWhoMustBeObeyed Thu 01-Nov-12 09:27:46

Not sure I would spend the money new but mine was a present from my mother. It is over ten years old. Toasts one side of one slice at the end so hey, I turn it halfway. I love the fact it is simple and mechanical. There are no complicated or hidden electronic bits. Very basic really but great to use.

ouryve Thu 01-Nov-12 09:23:14

Maureen - we have the simple 2 slice one. It sits quite happily at the back of a very crowded worktop.

noddyholder Thu 01-Nov-12 09:18:48

thats the one i have

ggirl Thu 01-Nov-12 09:18:46

didn't realise this was an old thread and i'd already posted

MaureenLove Thu 01-Nov-12 09:18:19

htey are so BIG - they used to do side by side years ago - i want one of those

noddyholder Thu 01-Nov-12 09:17:36

I am not married! Ours is about 15+ years old i think.cheap ones do break but they also make toast so you take your chance. Dualit do a cheaper range lighter weight and smaller but still quality

ggirl Thu 01-Nov-12 09:17:33

our dualit is crap
only toasts one side half the time , it's a lucky morning when you get both sides done

MaureenLove Thu 01-Nov-12 09:16:09

they are like WEDDINGL PRESENT klaxon

plus the cost! they saw you all coming

ouryve Thu 01-Nov-12 09:15:54

Yes - sick of £20 toasters dying spectacularly within weeks of the warranty ending, we forked out £80 for a dualit, figuring that if it lasted 4 years, we'd break even. We've had it 8 years now.

Loads of the parts are replaceable and there's no electronics to fail. It's all simple switches and clockwork!

noddyholder Thu 01-Nov-12 09:15:16

They are a design classic not a style cliche grin. Russell hobbs do good normal toasters

MaureenLove Thu 01-Nov-12 09:13:21

our wedding present thick and thin has just gone after 16 years

i dont WANT a huge dualit one - plus i think they are a style cliche, has anyone got a SMALL one that doesnt hog the kitchen?

noddyholder Thu 01-Nov-12 09:06:34

The ticking noise irritates me but the sandwich bit is great for a quick snack without mess

Bluegrass Thu 01-Nov-12 09:04:47

I can't help but have a sneaking suspicion that some people who complain about bread only toasting on one side are putting it on single slice but putting the toast in the wrong slot (as that is exactly what happens).

I also don't understand the complaint about lack of a pop up meaning your toast goes cold. It takes about 2 mins from a cold start. If you wander off to watch Lord of the Rings I guess it might be cold by the time the credits roll, but as long as you come back within 5 mins to eat it then it should be nice and, er...toasty.

VioletStar Thu 01-Nov-12 08:42:44

Agree with poster above somewhere who said don't get the cheaper colour coordinated ones. My DS had one and it lasted two minutes. Get industrial one - had mine years and has outlasted the four she's had in same space of time ( and more cost)

satine Thu 01-Nov-12 08:29:55

I was just thinking, as I sit here eating a roll toasted in my trusty 4 slice Dualit, just how fabulous the toaster is. It was a wedding present in 1998 (it's outlasted my marriage, by the way) and other than replacing one element (simplicity itself to do, full instructions given) it has worked tirelessly, survived three house moves, toasted everything and looks stylish.
I'm definitely feeling the Dualit love!

cerealqueen Fri 29-Jun-12 22:40:03

DO NOT get a new model, just to reiterate. We bough a four slice one (two long slots) in cream, £80 ish, looked the business but was utterly shite and the customer service was dire as we tried to get it looked at (it burnt one side and you could only use one setting) and they said nothing wrong with it. In the end, John Lewis took it back. They don't sell them now - NOT BLOODY SURPRISED!!!!

SoupDragon Tue 29-May-12 07:28:14

Unplug the toaster before you start wink

Ooh shall give it a go then. Will be sure to post a photo of me with crispy hair if it all goes wrong...

SoupDragon Mon 28-May-12 21:59:17

I got my element from Dualit (who have an extortionate delivery charge - other places sell them though) and it came with easy instructions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now