Note: This topic is for discussing household goods. If you want to buy or sell household goods, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Ikea Malm bedroom furniture. Is it any good?

(22 Posts)
Phoenix Sat 16-Jul-11 21:22:29

We are thinking about getting some of the chests of drawers and possibly a bed in white and wondering is it as good as it looks.

We've never had any new bedroom furniture so want to treat ourselves grin

lawnimp Sat 16-Jul-11 21:23:33

yes it's good, hard wearing, glue the joins though as well as using those weird screws

DrGruntFotter Sat 16-Jul-11 21:26:19

Message withdrawn

Esian Sat 16-Jul-11 21:26:28

I've heard very bad things about ikea beds- just google them before you buy and check out some of the reviews sad
I have the chest of drawers and bookcase though and I'm really pleased with them. They look good and seem very solid. I even assembled the drawers myself while 9 months pregnant grin

DrGruntFotter Sat 16-Jul-11 21:28:16

Message withdrawn

Mercedes519 Sat 16-Jul-11 21:32:22

Drawers are great - we have loads and they've lasted a couple of years so far and still look nice.

Ikea beds are a different size to normal beds!! It means you'd always have to buy your bedding from Ikea. Its a contintental size which is metric whereas UK beds are imperial I think.

Phoenix Sat 16-Jul-11 21:33:23

Well, we are definitely getting new drawers. Dh is taking a bit more convincing on the bed front smile

renlo Sat 16-Jul-11 21:33:25

Well they are very sturdy and can stand the test of time. But, the bed especially is very low so not great if you're 8 months preggers with severe spd! Also, the chest of drawers have really, and I mean REALLY sharp corners so if you're a bit clumsy, best avoided. Lastly, the lack of handle make them perfect for trapping little fingers...Otherwise, they're great!

Phoenix Sat 16-Jul-11 21:34:36

Worth knowing about the beds, thank you, I didn't know that.

Phoenix Sat 16-Jul-11 21:36:17

Pregnancy won't be happening again (I don't think grin) but small fingers could be a problem hmm

twinklypearls Sat 16-Jul-11 22:09:10

We had a malm bed and we were always banging our knees on the base. We had a superking, we loved it when new but when we moved somewhere with a more average sized bedroom it was too big. The superking came with two single mattresses and two toppers which were always sliding off. Every night we would have to put the topper back and sex was a nightmare. Then the toppers stopped working and the bed started to sag in the middle between the two matresses. This wasn't the fault of the bedframe but the mattress options. It gave way finally during great sex.

wigglesrock Sat 16-Jul-11 22:17:06

I have Malm bedside tables, chest of drawers in differing sizes, really like them. I have an Ikea double bed not Malm, can't remember which one. The bedlinen is a slightly different size but a normal double bed sheet will stretch over it. I have 3dcs and the bed has survived jumping on, building of tents , and even the odd time Mr W and I have had sex, albeit not hugely energetically grin.

My 6 and 3 year old also have Malm chest of drawers and no trapped fingers yet.

Phoenix Sun 17-Jul-11 16:17:48

Just been to ikea to look at them again. The drawers are definite now I think but still not sure about the bed yet smile

RandomMess Sun 17-Jul-11 16:21:16

We love our malm drawers but have got ikea bed bases with legs - 2 singles attached together seperate mattress with the memory foam topper so it's between and a king and a superking in size.

Absolutely love it, no regrets 18 months on.

The drawers are great, but I would say no to the bed. We looked at it several times and decided it just wasnt good enough quality. I've heard bad things about ikea beds (on here and in RL) which is why we decided against it in the end. I really wasn't impressed with their mattresses either. We went for John Lewis for the beds and some of the frames are a similar cost to the Malm ones once you factor in the bed slats.

AuntieMaggie Sun 17-Jul-11 16:35:55

we have the drawers, bedside drawers and double bed. Its good. DPs drawers have broken but thats because he shoves too much in them. We had the other bedside thing that attached to the bed but had to swap for the drawers when we moved here as it made the bed too wide. but we've had the bed for at least 5 years!

FaintlyMacabre Sun 17-Jul-11 16:42:45

Our Malm bed is very comfortable, and has (mostly) survived being disassembled and reassembled numerous times. However, as twinklypearls says, the base is dangerous! I am always banging my shins on it and poor DS1 is covered in bruises from it. I am also very nervous if DS2 is playing near it because the edges are so hard.

The chests of drawers are good though, very spacious.

Phoenix Sun 17-Jul-11 16:44:09

Forget the bed talk. I just measured the gap that we have our bed in to see if we could fit a king size in but the Malm double won't even fit in it. So that's that decision made grin.

thenightsky Sun 17-Jul-11 16:48:56

We've had the Malm bed for near 5 years now. Its the biggest one available, so I can only buy bedding for it from Ikea. I love it and have had no problems at all, but we did buy the most expensive mattress option.

Also got two little chests of drawers either side as bedside cabinets and two blanket boxes side by side at the foot of the bed.

Planning to get the dressing table and more larger sets of drawers soon.

vernier Mon 18-Jul-11 14:34:34

Considering the price Ikea things are nice. I've had Malm before. Depending on your budget you could check out furniture sites like fashion4home for bedroom furniture.
I think they have nice stuff, and not everyone has their furniture at home wink.

KL07 Tue 08-Apr-14 14:03:16

We have Ikea Malm drawers that have survived 7 years of use and 3 house moves. Same goes for our (now discontinued) Ikea Aneboda bed and our Ikea Pax wardrobes. We love Ikea....!

I have the 7 drawer tall boy with fold down mirror from the Malm range. I bought it in January but still have nothing in them as it has a weird musty fruit smell. Anyone else noticed a weird smell from ikea flat pack stuff?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now