Handwriting task - ideas please!

(5 Posts)
Paffle Sun 18-Sep-16 17:18:21

My DS6 is preparing for 7+ in Jan (I know, don't go there). He is considered v bright but due to hypermobility and poor motor skills generally, his handwriting is dreadful. His school are being really great and he is definitely improving loads. However, they do say that 7+ round here (SE London) is so competitive that poor handwriting, even where the content is good, may mean he doesn't do well in his assessment.

To give him more practice, they've given him a "special task" of copying a few lines of a book of his choice - can be anything he likes- in his best handwriting. Copying is so he doesn't have to worry about content but can focus on style. His offerings are celebrated at school, headteacher praises him etc. Trouble is that getting him to do it is agony. Cries, shouts, says he hates it etc. Takes about 20 minutes to get a line of text out of him. He does get ordinary homework to do as well - not loads but by the time he's done that and his spellings and his reading plus a day at school, he is tired.

Today, I tried racing him - he copied a poem and I copied a (longer) poem. Idea is to try to write neatly and fast. Definitely less fuss but writing was pretty rubbish. Then I wrote a line of text and he traced over it - to imbed muscle memory. So far so good but I can't do that every day. Any other bright ideas for livening up a writing task? Sorry this turned out so long!!

cdtaylornats Mon 19-Sep-16 22:49:05

studenthandouts.com/handwriting-worksheets/

Paffle Tue 20-Sep-16 13:58:45

Thanks!

TeacherBob Sat 15-Oct-16 22:25:32

2 minute speed write.
About a topic you give him.
You do same.

Then repeat.
He has to beat his first score.
You have to beat your first score.

Do this 3 times.

Give it a couple of days then give extra points for neatness (more than he could earn just for the writing)

yogamel38 Fri 11-Nov-16 13:53:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now