Trying hard to motivate and help my boys but getting nowhere

(3 Posts)
bacon Tue 03-May-16 18:08:35

7 & 10 boys. I have always gone through homework with them but feel as though I'm doing it and getting my 10 yr old to read!!!! He's always been average in class but does very little is is by his teachers comment "slipping". He doesnt read, cant be bothered with homework (either denies doing it in class or puts up barriers can start crying). DS2 is well below and is really struggling again I cant even get him to try it seems all my efforts are wasted and I feel a complete failure in not being a pushy parent but try to help. Should I just give up? So is a private tutor the only way to build their confidence and go over what the teacher hasnt had time to repeat endlessly.

Feeling like hitting my head with a brick!

irvineoneohone Tue 03-May-16 22:40:31

Don't give up. Maybe your ds denies to do work because he isn't confident enough?
What do they struggle with?
You may get more response if you posted in primary education. There are a lot of experienced teachers and parents who may be able to give you good advice.

Putneyparent Sun 19-Jun-16 10:11:53

If you have the budget, I would recommend a tutor to help with problem areas, usually maths and English. I struggled to get my some to do more than the bare minimum with homework and often unless he was sent home with a note about the homework he would only tell me about one thing they had to do instead of giving me the whole picture.
I got a tutor for him and she's been great and I have seen an improvement on his work and attitude, she is very encouraging and compliments him, heaps on praise etc. I'm not saying he's thrilled to have her, but he does sit down and works with her in a way he'd never do with me....
Reading is so so important. I go with my DS, 10, to book shops and let him pick what he wants, he won't read anything I chose, and that seems to have worked. It doesn't matter what they read as long as they read. My DS loved diary of a wimpy kid and couldn't wait for the next book. Let them lead you on the books they want. They don't have to be difficult or even she appropriate, it's about getting them to enjoy reading.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now