The Dancing Bear, Michael Morpurgo

(7 Posts)
Moominsarehippos Fri 28-Dec-12 10:03:57

We got sidetracked yesterday into a history of radio. Oops. Good suggestions though. He needs to learn to concentrate. He's like his mum - concentration of a jumping bean. His school headteacher thinkg this is a good thing as it means he is very smart (argggggg).

EcoLady Thu 27-Dec-12 23:54:18

Clues for when it is set is an excellent idea for discussion - sounds like you are doing all the right things for him.

-What does he like / dislike about the story ... and WHY does he think that.
- Pick one of the characters. What would he have done if he'd been that person?
- If there was one more chapter, what would happen in it?

Moominsarehippos Thu 27-Dec-12 14:30:25

He's read it and just about tell the storyline. He doesn't really think about what he ready beyond the story though. I asked him when it was set and he struggled beyond a wild guess. We talked about the fact it was a pop video in the story, and the fact Roxy didn't offer to Skype the bear, people knew who the pop star was (so they had radio or access to cinema/telly at least).

I only managed good English grades because I was a very good story teller and had a very vivid imagination. I even managed to do reasonable well in textual analysis at uni (gift of the blarney).

EcoLady Thu 27-Dec-12 12:34:26

So, has he read it? Can he tell you what it's about? Get it from the library or download kindle version if you haven't got it. It covers lots of issues, including orphans and animals as entertainment, so there is lots to discuss.

Moominsarehippos Thu 27-Dec-12 10:19:07

Year 4. He needs to 'discuss it' at school, and "maudlin' twaddle" isn't good enough according to DH.

EcoLady Thu 27-Dec-12 10:14:59

What's the homework task? Year group?

Moominsarehippos Thu 27-Dec-12 10:01:32

What is that all about? I am crap at English (despite Higher A grade).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now