Please can someone v clever help ME with MY homework?! Regarding Halophytes....

(9 Posts)
frazzledfairy Wed 21-Nov-12 11:27:24

Oh dear, not quite sure why I need to know about salt water plants to become a midwife/nurse but hey ho!

If anyone could help me answer these questions I'd be v grateful (have googled and wiki'ed but no clear answer!

Name the process by which Halophytes can take salt into their cells against a concentration gradient?

Name two chemicals which are needed to release energy for this process to occur?

Anyone?

TIA smile

frazzledfairy Wed 21-Nov-12 16:41:43

Bump smile

sashh Sat 24-Nov-12 02:21:43

I think the first would be active transport. No idea on the second

Monty27 Sat 24-Nov-12 02:27:07

Isn't there something about dark and light?

stumped and old

I think it means water and carbon dioxide (for photosynthesis to make energy).

Monty27 Sat 24-Nov-12 02:36:18

Yessss photosynthesis is what I was trying to remember. probably still way off the map mind

Ria isn't there an opposite to photosynthesis as well? Blimey I'm old.

Respiration - turning oxygen and glucose into water and carbon dioxide (and energy).

Re-reading the question this is more likely the answer they were looking for, photosynthesis generates chemical energy from solar energy and respiration releases it as ATP which can be used to power active transport.

I'll blame tiredness for getting that wrong the first time blush

frazzledfairy Tue 18-Dec-12 14:23:03

Thank you smile

Had already handed paper in, and can't remember what answer I gave! And still not got it back from tutor hmm

smile

Raynarayan Mon 24-Dec-12 10:44:14

They ntake the water against the concentration by a process called "Reverse Osmosis".

ATP and GTP are the two chemicals required for this process

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now