legal holiday entitlement

(9 Posts)
alypaly Sun 02-Aug-09 23:24:52

Can anyone please tell me why so many employers are offering under the government recommendation of 28 days hols,plus or minus bank hols depending on how kind they are.
I have been to alot of interviews just recently and some big companies are still offering 20,22,24 days.
Surely they are breaking some rules here.

mumblechum Sun 02-Aug-09 23:26:00

Well, assuming they're all part time jobs, they have to offer 20 days plus bank hols.

I work 4 days a week so get 16 plus bank hols.

mumblechum Sun 02-Aug-09 23:26:25

Dur, obv. I meant assuming they're all FULL time jobs.

alypaly Sun 02-Aug-09 23:41:21

You are being done out of your legal holiday entitlement..... I had a look on HMRC business link and it is 28 days. It is pro rata for part timers.

It also says that your employer can deduct the bank holidays that You personally work in that year so your entitelemt will vary by one day each year.

I recently went for a job with a company and they wrer offering the full entitelment of 28 days plus ALL the bank holidays.
They are the only company to read the goverment rules

mumblechum Mon 03-Aug-09 00:05:00

No, I'm entitled to 5.6X my working week, which as the rules came in in April 2009 equate to 21.7 days, sadly INCLUDING bank hols.

It would be nice to get the 5.6 times one week plus bank hols, but I don't think that's right.

alypaly Mon 03-Aug-09 00:13:45

The figures my partner has has just given me and he has just started his own busines with one employee and used the government website are..........
if you work say for example 4 days at 8 hours per day = 32 hours

28 days divided by 5 days=5.6 x 4 days =22.4days and then they deduct or add the bank holiday days to the total. So if you are a full timer..ie 5 days a week and only being given 20 days you be being done out of hols some years...check it out

My stingy now ex boss worked it out to the exact 15 minutes that we worked so i ended up with 0.2 of a day off.....how nit picky is that when you work so hard for someone and he actually said i would have to come in to work and then i could go home to take the allocated time off.

So told him i was taking forever OFF ,goodbye mr pharmacist... have a happy life...

Tinker Mon 03-Aug-09 00:13:57
alypaly Mon 03-Aug-09 00:17:01

The inland revenue gave us the website www.businesslink.gov.uk

alypaly Mon 03-Aug-09 00:20:31

mumblechum

at least your employer is doing it correctly cos 5.6 is ok.Shame he is not a kind one giving bank hols aswell.
Think i will go and work for my partner he gives 5.6 plus bhols......
He reckons he will get alot more commitment from his employee if required....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now