Ruth Kelly to quit Cabinet to spend time with family

(1 Post)
Monkeytrousers Wed 24-Sep-08 09:33:06

"Mr Brown told Sky News: "She has got four children between five and 11. She felt, rightly, that the tension between having to work, being a constituency MP, being a minister, and having a family of four, that she wanted to spend that time as they grow up helping them through these challenging years."

cupsoftea Wed 24-Sep-08 15:16:26

chocdot - you think she'll be giving up her parliamentary career? Will her dh be going out to work ft?

bundle Wed 24-Sep-08 15:34:04

chocolatedot, I wouldn't have been surprised if she'd resigned when all the hoo-ha over her son's education happened, but yes, I'm surprised by her resignation.

am I allowed to be surprised?

rather spookily, the dh of my MP friend literally just rang and asked me to help them out with childcare on Friday...which I graciously said I would smile

wasabipeanut Wed 24-Sep-08 16:04:10

"spending more time with the family" has become somewhat of a political cliche.

Personally I wouldn't have wanted to juggle 4 kids and a stellar career, staff or not.

mabanana Wed 24-Sep-08 16:11:25

One of her kids is at boarding school, isn't he?

bundle Wed 24-Sep-08 16:13:36

yes, hoo ha

chocolatedot Wed 24-Sep-08 16:22:57

Bundle, I have no opinion on whether you're "allowed" to be surprised or not, I was simply asking why. It seems to me that given her personal ciscumstances combined with a serious difference of opinion over embryo research, the fact that her career as a Minister had already peaked and an unpopular government, it doesn't seems an especially strange choice to make.

Personally I would have found it far more surprising if she had resigned over sending her son Private given that by doing so she broke no Labour Party rules and was by no means the first senior Labour politician to do so.

bundle Wed 24-Sep-08 16:27:52

As I said, yes, I'm surprised that she's resigned. I never said it was a strange choice, just surprising. For. Her. To. Resign. Now.

The embryo research has hardly come up suddenly, she's no more/less popular than before (and has indeed weathered more than a few storms) and at the time of her son's school move was branded a hypocrite, in the same way that Diane Abbott was.

chocolatedot Wed 24-Sep-08 16:31:26

Well gee sorry for having a discussion about it but thanks for typing slowly anyway, us simpletons need a bit of help.

MerlinsBeard Wed 24-Sep-08 16:47:33

was it Ruth Kelly that messed with education and then transport and then moved somewhere else?

mabanana Wed 24-Sep-08 17:00:32

maybe she's planning to ship them all off to boarding school and doesn't fancy the publicity? Or maybe she only wants to spend more time with three of her kids, as she clearly chose not to spend much time with one of them. I find her vaguely sinister.

Podrick Wed 24-Sep-08 17:18:49

This is very clearly a convenient euphemism.

Ruth Kelly is just swapping one full time job for another one. Her kids are all at school anyway. Spending time with the kids has never been a priority for Ruth Kelly and nothing has changed there imo.

Podrick Wed 24-Sep-08 17:27:58

She has timed her resignation to damage Gordon Brown and this is no coincidence. She is anti choice on abortion and as such I can only think good riddance.

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 17:33:41

mabanana (I am not stalking you honest) the child who is at boarding school has learning difficulties and it was the school that best suited his needs.......

ScummyMummy Wed 24-Sep-08 17:40:55

I thought he had mild dyslexia, fio? can't warm to r kelly, tbh. v headgirl without sense of humour.

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 17:45:04

I dont know what he had I just knew it was learning difficulties and remember the hoo ha

ScummyMummy Wed 24-Sep-08 17:48:58

twas a hooha indeed!

sahmfornow Wed 24-Sep-08 23:56:45

If she really wanted to spend time with her kids, perhaps she might have been better doing it when they were under 5, when she could have actually been at home with them during the day, not just after 3.30pm?

The 11 year old will soon be a teenager and not be in the least bit interested in hanging out with Mum. Even the youngest at 5 is now at full-time school. Don't really believe it myself - she doesn't seem the maternal type really. Think she just saw the writing on the wall and thought it might be a good time to go.

Dottoressa Thu 25-Sep-08 09:47:31

Whatever the reason for her departure, it comes as a relief to me!

I hope it will be followed by the departure of the entire Cabinet in due course.

Monkeytrousers Thu 25-Sep-08 09:55:43

I'm a bit shock at the default cynicism on here and hmm and the inside knowledge professed. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - that's just mine - I just wonder what the point of such cynicism is. Really. Skepticism, okay, especially if it motivates you do go and find out more. But cynicism just demands you sit on your arse and criticise fromn the scantest evidence. It encourages ignorance!

AS for RK, I am prepered to take her reasons on face value, I just thought it was a timely contrast to the situation in the US with Sarah Palin

Monkeytrousers Thu 02-Oct-08 23:26:40

she is now to step down as an MP here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now