Ruth Kelly to quit Cabinet to spend time with family

(1 Post)
Monkeytrousers Wed 24-Sep-08 09:33:06

"Mr Brown told Sky News: "She has got four children between five and 11. She felt, rightly, that the tension between having to work, being a constituency MP, being a minister, and having a family of four, that she wanted to spend that time as they grow up helping them through these challenging years."

palaver Wed 24-Sep-08 09:34:56

Good for her - I wouldn't fancy juggling that lot smile

cupsoftea Wed 24-Sep-08 09:35:10

Does she have a nanny, cleaner & other help?

edam Wed 24-Sep-08 09:36:08

Yup, cups, and a SAHM husband IIRC. Maybe she knew Gordon would give her push and jumped first?

edam Wed 24-Sep-08 09:36:25

(sorry, should be SAHH!)

sophable Wed 24-Sep-08 09:36:59

really interesting isn't it.

the fact that she can AFFORD to do that!!!!

interesting juxtaposition with all the govt policies which emphasise getting women out to work and children into childcare.

elliott Wed 24-Sep-08 09:39:22

She's not giving up work though is she? She'll still be an MP (at least until the next election) - probably wants to have enough time to line something else up before she loses her seat...what's the point of slogging your guts out for near certain redundancy in a couple of years time?
I think, completely fair enough. I wouldn't envy anyone living like that with a young family, male,female or whatever...

palaver Wed 24-Sep-08 09:39:33

even if she had a nanny, MPs work irregular hours, so I would think that she didn't get to see a lot of the children in the week

palaver Wed 24-Sep-08 09:40:34

x post elliot - I didn't realise that she was continuing as an MP. Scratch my comments then smile

cupsoftea Wed 24-Sep-08 09:40:45

lol edam!!!

elliott Wed 24-Sep-08 09:41:22

and I have to say, why do people always complain that high flying women have 'nanny, cleaner and other help' (even when we have no idea of their domestic arrangements, lets face it - I'd be interested in hard facts rather than speculation) as if that somehow means they aren't pulling their weight?

jellybeans Wed 24-Sep-08 09:44:37

I don't think that she is leaving to spend more time with the kids, (don't think she will) but cos she was going to get the sack or demoted. So obvious.

Peachy Wed 24-Sep-08 09:48:33

Well if I could choose a minister to go she woul be high up there.

But if its really kids time she wants rather than rats and ships etc then admiration for having the guts

I reckon the rat thig is more likely

UnquietDad Wed 24-Sep-08 09:57:54

Good luck to her.

Hope she doesn't let the doorknob hit her arse on the way out.

The rest will follow soon enough.

katebee Wed 24-Sep-08 09:58:55

Why does she only want to spend time with her children once the youngest starts school?! Did she work to avoid being with her children in the pre-school years?

chocolatedot Wed 24-Sep-08 09:58:56

She doesn't have a Nanny or a full time non-working husband. Her mother helps out a lot and her husband is also a big support. My children are around the same age as hers and it has become abundantly clear that they need more time and attention now than when they were younger.

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 09:59:04

Message deleted

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 09:59:11

Message deleted

throckenholt Wed 24-Sep-08 10:00:53

my mind boggles as to how she managed to do it for so long anyway - and have kids during that time - she must hardly ever see them - or else be ruthless (no pun intended) about time management.

Did she take any maternity leave ?

ThingOne Wed 24-Sep-08 10:06:14

I've always been astounded how she did it too. It's not like a normal responsible job with occasional weekend/evening work and travel. Being a SoS is relentless and constant.

Don't rate her politics or abilities that much, BTW, so wouldn't be surprised if she has jumped before pushed.

elliott Wed 24-Sep-08 10:07:47

Thank you chocolatedot for some facts about her domestic arrangements.

cupsoftea Wed 24-Sep-08 10:13:08

If she actually spends time with her kids then good choice - but she must have help if her husband isn't a full time sahd., My dh works long hours & if I wasn't a sahm I don't see how it would be possible to manage even just logistically with a large family.

elliott Wed 24-Sep-08 10:16:33

Well, there is childcare you know shock and apparently her mum is around. I think between a granny, a dad who doesn't work long hours and access to childminders, after school clubs etc, it is possible.

WideWebWitch Wed 24-Sep-08 10:18:03

Poor woman though, it is bloody EXHAUSTING having children and working ft oth. Mind you, if her dh is a SAHD then I'm surprised.

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 10:19:40

Message deleted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now