Ruth Kelly to quit Cabinet to spend time with family

(1 Post)
Monkeytrousers Wed 24-Sep-08 09:33:06

"Mr Brown told Sky News: "She has got four children between five and 11. She felt, rightly, that the tension between having to work, being a constituency MP, being a minister, and having a family of four, that she wanted to spend that time as they grow up helping them through these challenging years."

palaver Wed 24-Sep-08 09:34:56

Good for her - I wouldn't fancy juggling that lot smile

cupsoftea Wed 24-Sep-08 09:35:10

Does she have a nanny, cleaner & other help?

edam Wed 24-Sep-08 09:36:08

Yup, cups, and a SAHM husband IIRC. Maybe she knew Gordon would give her push and jumped first?

edam Wed 24-Sep-08 09:36:25

(sorry, should be SAHH!)

sophable Wed 24-Sep-08 09:36:59

really interesting isn't it.

the fact that she can AFFORD to do that!!!!

interesting juxtaposition with all the govt policies which emphasise getting women out to work and children into childcare.

elliott Wed 24-Sep-08 09:39:22

She's not giving up work though is she? She'll still be an MP (at least until the next election) - probably wants to have enough time to line something else up before she loses her seat...what's the point of slogging your guts out for near certain redundancy in a couple of years time?
I think, completely fair enough. I wouldn't envy anyone living like that with a young family, male,female or whatever...

palaver Wed 24-Sep-08 09:39:33

even if she had a nanny, MPs work irregular hours, so I would think that she didn't get to see a lot of the children in the week

palaver Wed 24-Sep-08 09:40:34

x post elliot - I didn't realise that she was continuing as an MP. Scratch my comments then smile

cupsoftea Wed 24-Sep-08 09:40:45

lol edam!!!

elliott Wed 24-Sep-08 09:41:22

and I have to say, why do people always complain that high flying women have 'nanny, cleaner and other help' (even when we have no idea of their domestic arrangements, lets face it - I'd be interested in hard facts rather than speculation) as if that somehow means they aren't pulling their weight?

jellybeans Wed 24-Sep-08 09:44:37

I don't think that she is leaving to spend more time with the kids, (don't think she will) but cos she was going to get the sack or demoted. So obvious.

Peachy Wed 24-Sep-08 09:48:33

Well if I could choose a minister to go she woul be high up there.

But if its really kids time she wants rather than rats and ships etc then admiration for having the guts

I reckon the rat thig is more likely

UnquietDad Wed 24-Sep-08 09:57:54

Good luck to her.

Hope she doesn't let the doorknob hit her arse on the way out.

The rest will follow soon enough.

katebee Wed 24-Sep-08 09:58:55

Why does she only want to spend time with her children once the youngest starts school?! Did she work to avoid being with her children in the pre-school years?

chocolatedot Wed 24-Sep-08 09:58:56

She doesn't have a Nanny or a full time non-working husband. Her mother helps out a lot and her husband is also a big support. My children are around the same age as hers and it has become abundantly clear that they need more time and attention now than when they were younger.

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 09:59:04

"She has got four children between five and 11. She felt, rightly, that the tension between having to work, being a constituency MP, being a minister, and having a family of four, that she wanted to spend that time as they grow up helping them through these challenging years"

she wanted to spend more time with them. So its irrelevant whether she had a nanny/cleaner/gardener/coo/sahm husband/3 dogs and a squirrel

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 09:59:11

"She has got four children between five and 11. She felt, rightly, that the tension between having to work, being a constituency MP, being a minister, and having a family of four, that she wanted to spend that time as they grow up helping them through these challenging years"

she wanted to spend more time with them. So its irrelevant whether she had a nanny/cleaner/gardener/coo/sahm husband/3 dogs and a squirrel

throckenholt Wed 24-Sep-08 10:00:53

my mind boggles as to how she managed to do it for so long anyway - and have kids during that time - she must hardly ever see them - or else be ruthless (no pun intended) about time management.

Did she take any maternity leave ?

ThingOne Wed 24-Sep-08 10:06:14

I've always been astounded how she did it too. It's not like a normal responsible job with occasional weekend/evening work and travel. Being a SoS is relentless and constant.

Don't rate her politics or abilities that much, BTW, so wouldn't be surprised if she has jumped before pushed.

elliott Wed 24-Sep-08 10:07:47

Thank you chocolatedot for some facts about her domestic arrangements.

cupsoftea Wed 24-Sep-08 10:13:08

If she actually spends time with her kids then good choice - but she must have help if her husband isn't a full time sahd., My dh works long hours & if I wasn't a sahm I don't see how it would be possible to manage even just logistically with a large family.

elliott Wed 24-Sep-08 10:16:33

Well, there is childcare you know shock and apparently her mum is around. I think between a granny, a dad who doesn't work long hours and access to childminders, after school clubs etc, it is possible.

WideWebWitch Wed 24-Sep-08 10:18:03

Poor woman though, it is bloody EXHAUSTING having children and working ft oth. Mind you, if her dh is a SAHD then I'm surprised.

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 10:19:40

Its actually FAR easier to work when you have pre schoolers aswell as there is always a high percentage of good quality pre school care available. When they are at school the options are rather limited

WideWebWitch Wed 24-Sep-08 10:21:57

Sorry, hadn't read thread about no nanny or sahd when I posted. Annabee, actually, it's still hard when they're all at school and I only have 2. There are:

myriad parents evenings
2 (in her case 4) book bags to go through, homework to shout at them to do supervise
costumes to supply for plays etc
forms to fill in
lunches to make/dinner money to supply
breakfast club to book and pay for
supper for them all
uniforms to wash (a lot when they're 5!) and label
admission forms to complete for those going up/starting a new school

and that's JUST school stuff. That's without

food shopping
cleaning
cooking
washing
bill paying
working, ft, oth
exercising
seeing friends

these last two often fall off the to do list for me.

WideWebWitch Wed 24-Sep-08 10:23:23

And that's without factoring in the possibilities of

- one of more child being upset/ worried about something
- husband having work/other issues or worries
ageing parents or pils
money worries (MPs aren't paid that much given many live in London)
health concerns

throckenholt Wed 24-Sep-08 10:23:51

www - you would hope somewhere to find some time to have some fun with them too.

WideWebWitch Wed 24-Sep-08 10:24:09

So I guess I'm saying I don't blame her or Fiona Phillips or Penny Hughes or any of them.

Life as a ft working parent is bloody hard ime.

WideWebWitch Wed 24-Sep-08 10:24:47

Well you'd think so throckenholt but sometimes it's bloody hard to find time for that! And that's a damn shame imo

throckenholt Wed 24-Sep-08 10:31:22

yep - working and being a parent aren't really compatible IME.

I work part time and I still feel I don't spend much quality time with my kids - time at home when they are there is still taken up with the mundane (food, washing etc).

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 10:33:11

I think the older you get, the more you realise you can't have it all and having it all doesnt exist

chocolatedot Wed 24-Sep-08 10:43:36

WWW and Fiofio too right. I worked pretty much full time when my kids were young, took 4 years out and am now with the youngest at full time school am returning to part time work.

It was far easier to work when they were at home as I could arrange good, consistent childcare. Now, school hours and holidays complicate that enormously as does the combined 90 minutes per evening I need to spend supervising/ helping with homework, preparing 3 packed luches and the innumerable things WWW cites.

Ruth Kelly's husband gave up his full time job to help with the kids (but remains active in other areas) while her mum moved to live closer to them to help out.

Her decision makes a lot of sense to me and quite frankly, I think some of the comments on here are a bit disappointing. Its damned hard to work full time with school age children.

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 10:48:49

I imagine the negative comments may be off people who have pre school children though. I was just as guilty for thinking it would easier when they went to school. Hahaha, how wrong was I

WideWebWitch Wed 24-Sep-08 10:54:16

And, with school age children there are something like THIRTEEN WEEKS of school holidays to cover!

Half term in Feb, a week
easter, 2 weeks
another half term, a week
summer holiday, 6 weeks
half term in Oct, a week
Christmas, when they finish around the 5th December (I'm joking, but it is usually 18th or something and often a HALF day on the last day)
inset days

and that's without counting children and adult sickness! x'd by however many children you have!

In my last job I worked ft and had 7 weeks holiday a year, still nowhere near covered it.

WideWebWitch Wed 24-Sep-08 10:55:04

Me too Fio, I thought it would be easier. If you're a sahm it is, if you woth, it aint.

Jux Wed 24-Sep-08 10:58:42

Thank god. One down, how many to go?

spicemonster Wed 24-Sep-08 10:59:05

But parliament is closed all summer, all easter and and xmas. My sister works there and only needs to find cover for half terms.

And MPs are also given allowances for any pads they need to maintain in London.

I reckon there's some other reason - either the embryology thing or she was about to get kicked out

bundle Wed 24-Sep-08 10:59:56

www, did you see that fiona phillips' dad has alzheimers? sad her mum died of it a few years ago and I think she's worried she may be at high risk herself sad

TheCrackFox Wed 24-Sep-08 11:01:15

This has nothing with to do with wanting to spend more time with her children and everything to do with the fact that, at best, she was lack lustre as a minister. She jumped before she was pushed.

bundle Wed 24-Sep-08 11:01:19

spicemonster

parliament may be "closed" but MPs have heaps of constituency stuff to be getting on with

a friend of mine who's an MP is up in Manchester today - she was home for a couple of days (after some parliamentary trip to the states) just in time to celebrate her little boy's birthday and then whisked off again. good job she's got family to help

WideWebWitch Wed 24-Sep-08 11:02:39

Bundle, I did, I posted the interview with her and really feel for her as she thinks she could have 10 years and then be affected herself. Poor woman.

bundle Wed 24-Sep-08 11:05:04

sorry, had missed that.

my dad had early-onset, but it must be really worrying to happen to both parents.

spicemonster Wed 24-Sep-08 11:05:51

I know that MPs have other things to do of course outside of the house sitting. I'm just pointing out that her cabinet responsibilities do not impact on school holidays.

bundle Wed 24-Sep-08 11:06:44

is your sister an MP? or a cabinet minister?

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 11:20:06

<feels a bit creeped out that this has been moved and pinned>

WideWebWitch Wed 24-Sep-08 11:21:24

Oh I tihnk it's GOOD that it's been pinned fio, what's the creepy part? Do you think they're going to be waaatching you?

OrmIrian Wed 24-Sep-08 11:22:50

That's what I want to do right now!

envy

WideWebWitch Wed 24-Sep-08 11:24:01

Me too ORm, I am like this at Ruth Kelly

envyenvyenvyenvyenvy

OrmIrian Wed 24-Sep-08 11:28:06

Yep. Whatever her motivation, it isn't an option for most of us really.

Good luck to her.

spicemonster Wed 24-Sep-08 11:29:28

No she's not bundle. Don't really think that's relevant to the point - was just answering www's post about the difficulties of childcare in the summer holidays when you work full-time really

BlingLovin Wed 24-Sep-08 11:35:39

I think I'm going to get slammed as a weird psycho feminist but... but is anyone else slightly uncomfortable with Gordon Brown's "quite rightly"? What about all those male MPs with 4 children?

Not that I have an issue with her making this decision, I'm just wondering if the language, and response, would be the same if a man did this?

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 11:36:54

I think he was just being supportive

WideWebWitch Wed 24-Sep-08 11:38:05

Ikwym Bling, I'm a feminist too. I doubt he'd have used it of a male MP but, otoh, we do all agree that it's a nightmare.

Mumsnet, can we ask Ruth Kelly on?

Peachy Wed 24-Sep-08 11:38:25

blinglovin I wondered about the quite right;y too

but had she been an asset no doubt it would have been sadly

batters Wed 24-Sep-08 11:38:53

good luck to her. I am envious of any parent that has the support network and the finances to be able to do this.

WideWebWitch Wed 24-Sep-08 11:38:56

And maybe she just screamed at him "I CAN'T DO THIS ANY MORE, I HAVE FOUR CHILDREN AND I NEVER SEE THEM AND I NEVER SPEAK TO MY HUSBAND AND I DON'T WANT YOUR STUPID JOB ANY MORE" <joke>

WideWebWitch Wed 24-Sep-08 11:40:25

(sorry for lowering the tone btw)
I just know the feeling

I say good luck to her too.

bundle Wed 24-Sep-08 11:41:21

spicemonster

I think an MP's job is incredibly demanding, my friend and her dh both work f/t and they used a mixture of playschemes, family help and playdates during the summer holidays. she was also on maternity leave for some of this and that helped too.

BlingLovin Wed 24-Sep-08 11:42:43

LOL www.

Yup, I see the thinking, I just find it slightly disturbing.

artichokes Wed 24-Sep-08 11:47:13

Its true that Parliament has long holidays but as a Cabinet Minister she would have continued to have a lot of work throughout those holidays. Now she is a back bench MP she will be able to take more advantage of the parlimaentary breaks and the parliamentary hours (which though unuusal are actually quite family friendly if you are London based).

Freckle Wed 24-Sep-08 11:52:24

She could be back in a few years. She only has to wait until her children are in their teens and then they don't actually want to spend quality time with their parents. Not cool, you see.

Sunshinetoast Wed 24-Sep-08 11:54:08

I'm not a big Ruth Kelly fan on policy, but she has my sympathy. I can completely see why she has decided enough's enough with being a Minister.

But she's not giving up full time work - she's giving up being a Minister. Being an MP is still a full time job - most of the ones I've known have worked more than a 70 hour week, but at least you have a bit more control over your time and what you do as a backbencher than as a Minister.

I would have thought it would be harder to be an MP with school age children than younger children. If you use a nanny then pre-schoolers can be moved from constituency to London and back again. Once they start school you have to decide whether they are based in the constituency (in which case you don't see them during the week), or in London (in which case your local party starts complaining that you are not living in the constituency, and either you don't see your kids at weekends or they complain that they never see their friends because they are always being dragged to the constituency.)

SunshineSmith Wed 24-Sep-08 11:55:30

She's been atrocious in every role she's been in Govertment. Ruth, glad to see you going back home. A bit of advice....experiment with new haircuts, not very succesful so far!

artichokes Wed 24-Sep-08 11:58:19

"Once they start school you have to decide whether they are based in the constituency (in which case you don't see them during the week)"

Sort of. Except the Commons doesn't sit on Monday mornings and never has whipped business on a Friday. Most MPs can leave their constituencies after their kids go to school on Monday and return late Thursday night. Its hard but it is not all week. This year Parliament had 18 full weeks of holiday and although MPs do some work during those weeks that is very largely constituency based (and not full time) and so they can see the kids alot then.

WendyWeber Wed 24-Sep-08 12:04:06

According to some news snippet I saw this morning, "a friend" says she actually resigned out of fury with GB over his speech...

cremolafoam Wed 24-Sep-08 12:08:46

jolly good

artichokes Wed 24-Sep-08 12:22:22

She must be pretty cross with Brown to resign the day after his speech. All the news is now focused on why she quit rather than what he said and how well it was received. Just when Labour were showing a united front her actions have hinted at deep divisions.

Pendulum Wed 24-Sep-08 12:31:43

The latest polls at the weekend projected her to lose her seat at the next election by a massive majority. Maybe she will focus more on her constituency now she is no longer SoS?

Re: "quite rightly", we had the same thing at work recently where the announcement that a female director was leaving to spend more time with her family contained the word "understandably". There were many comments at the time that men would not be approvingly waved off the premises in that way.

Ooohhh maybe she will have time to get her eyebrows waxed and nip to the hairdressers now! Always felt a bit odd putting my kids education in the hands of a woman who couldn't be arsed to slap on a bit of mascara in the morning!

(Tee Hee - I am shallow!)

artichokes Wed 24-Sep-08 12:43:44

hmm

Pendulum Wed 24-Sep-08 12:46:43

Yes, I've been thinking that the credit crunch could have been avoided if only Alastair Darling had got around to plucking his eyebrows [hmmm]

Are you a Daily Mail fan, MadameCastafiore?

Noooo Telegraph Vouchers - save a fortune getting your paper that way!

CatIsSleepy Wed 24-Sep-08 12:51:56

bling there was a male minister a while back that stepped down to spend more time with his family
cannot for the life of me remember who it was though

so that doens't help much though?

and I agree with all those who say life gets more complicated once children are at school...at least that's what I anticipate anyway
I would want to do some kind of shorter working day if possible when mine go to school
course it's not always possible

good luck to her i say
don't like her much (but that's by the by)

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 24-Sep-08 12:59:58

How come it has taken until the eldest is 11 and the youngest at school to realise she wanted to be at home?

elkiedee Wed 24-Sep-08 13:00:12

Her parliamentary seat is apparently one of the most vulnerable in the next election, maybe she wants to prepare to move on in a different way. Perhaps she and dh now want to organise their family life/careers differently.

elliott Wed 24-Sep-08 13:03:42

She's not suddenly planning on being a SAHM, remember! Just scaling back a bit (or, as elkiedee suggests, read the writing on the wall and realised she'd better find a new direction)

WideWebWitch Wed 24-Sep-08 13:06:00

Because imnotmamag, if you look at what lots of us have posted on this threead and the other wotp /school thread, it's HARDER in a lot of ways when they're at school

Comments about RK's eyebrows are way out of order, really inappropriate imo

I remember that male minister, he really did say he wanted to spend time with his family, will see if I can find thread

WideWebWitch Wed 24-Sep-08 13:07:34
elliott Wed 24-Sep-08 13:09:17

Also Norman Fowler way back under Maggie - he recently wrote an article about it in hte observer, I think.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 24-Sep-08 13:10:12

Not for me but then I am a full time mum.

I just think the older one might feel a bit miffed that she has worked all their life but
is staying at home sooner with the younger ones.

CatIsSleepy Wed 24-Sep-08 13:12:27

ah thanks for that WWW, have been straining my poor brain cells to remember...

WideWebWitch Wed 24-Sep-08 13:15:37

Ah, well there you go, you're a ft sahm, so no, it prob isn't harder when they're at school under those circs!

See my thread about 'I wish I could be a sahm with children at school' here

Botbot Wed 24-Sep-08 13:26:19

Isn't 'I want to spend more time with my family' the standard line politicians trot out when they resign, as a cover for the real reason?

WouldYouCouldYouWithAGoat Wed 24-Sep-08 13:33:37

is it not possible to have a thread about a woman that DOESN@T snipe at her appearance.

i think work and children are perfectly compatible if you have a mortgage to pay and need to maintain your hair and eyebrows to the requisite levels of non freakdom.

she has quit for political reasons and i find it distasteful that it is dressed up as anything else.

nooka Wed 24-Sep-08 13:43:38

I want to spend time with my family is indeed a political euphemism for (generally) resigning before you are sacked. Having said that some said that Milburn really did feel his family were losing out. Others said he wanted to disassociate with the current government in order to make a future bid for party leader. Ruth Kelly is pretty useless, so I'm thinking a jump before pushed is likely. She is also a Blairite, so stick the knife into Gordon is quite possible too. The "quite rightly" might well be a barbed comment from Gordon.

artichokes Wed 24-Sep-08 13:59:25

It's a cover
She is bailing out, no longer wanting to be part of Gordon's sinking ship.
Jumping before pushed and it seems to me she chose when to do it for maximum publicity
Alan Milburn I think went for similar reasons both publically and personally but he chose a better time to do it

WideWebWitch Wed 24-Sep-08 14:19:32

I liked that article, thanks.

chocolatedot Wed 24-Sep-08 14:35:37

I love the idea that because Parliament is "closed" for the summer, MP's get to lounge around. If anyone spent more than 3 seconds in the company of an MP they would realise how incredibly hard they work.

I'm sure the vulnerability of her seat, her position on stem cell research and disenchantment with Gordon Brown have played a part in her decision but surely anyone can see that to have 4 young children, be an MP and a Cabinet Minister is just extraordinarily demanding. Surely if her leaving was primarily for political reasons, she would be sticking the knife into Gordon, not saying she's going because she owes it to her children.

bundle Wed 24-Sep-08 14:47:08

chocolatedot, would you say:

"surely anyone can see that to have 4 young children, be an MP and a Cabinet Minister is just extraordinarily demanding"

if she was a he? hmm

chocolatedot Wed 24-Sep-08 15:00:12

I would of course say that for a man to be a cabinet minister and have four young children is extraordinarily demanding (as a matter of interest, she is the only minister in that position). Given the number of male politicians in the past who have resigned for similar reasons, I don't think that's especially controversial.

Equally, I hardly think it's breaking news that many working women feel a greater pull from their children than working men, particularly when they're aged between 5 - 11. She has given birth 4 times in the past 11 years during which time she has also been an MP and latterly a Minister. Is it really that suprising that she wants to take a breather?

cupsoftea Wed 24-Sep-08 15:01:49

Not if she has full childcare & household help - much easier than staying at home to bring the kids up.

spicemonster Wed 24-Sep-08 15:03:25

No one has said that MPs get to lounge around have they?

If you're referring to my posts about summer, I was just pointing out that it is probably a slightly less demanding time of year for them work-wise, given that the House isn't sitting.

Sheesh - talk aoout 2+2=5!

bundle Wed 24-Sep-08 15:07:08

Is it really that suprising that she wants to take a breather?

er, yes

Grammaticus Wed 24-Sep-08 15:07:13

I liked the Norman Fowler article too.

I totally agree with Ruth Kelly, in fact I have just this week done the same thing (my two are 9 and 7). But what we need are fewer high profile women and more high profile men doing this - otherwise it reinforces the whole idea that children and family issues are the woman's responsibility.

And yes I know Ruth Kelly's DH is absolutely sharing the responsibility and she will still be WOTH (though perhaps not for long judging by her interview on radio 4 at lunchtime). But all people will remember in the long run is the headline - she quit to spend time with her family.

Which takes us back to the point made on the other thread (by hatwoman I think?) - the less equality there is between what is available and acceptable to men and to women, the further back we go.

cupsoftea Wed 24-Sep-08 15:10:28

She's just stopping being a minister but will keep her mp job - so she's not giving it all up to be a sahm

chocolatedot Wed 24-Sep-08 15:14:41

Bundle, geneuinely confused, why is it so surprising? I don't think it is at all, particularly given that her career had already peaked. The fact that one of kids has special needs is also pertinent.

COT, she hasn't said whether she will be standing again for her seat but it doesn't sound like it.

Marina Wed 24-Sep-08 15:14:45

What a great piece of writing by Norman Fowler.
I am ashamed to say that I had no idea he was only 41 when he resigned (he did look a lot older than that IMO!) and assumed that the "young family" he cited was his second lot of children. I put his resignation more down to having messed up a first family and really wanting to get it right second time round.

ScottishMummy Wed 24-Sep-08 15:16:07

but she retains FT post Ms Kelly and Gordy have had ideological differences esp human embryo research,so she is quitting her cabinet post not FT MP role. think "family time" is a thinly veiled excuse for breakdown in their working relationship

cupsoftea Wed 24-Sep-08 15:16:26

chocdot - you think she'll be giving up her parliamentary career? Will her dh be going out to work ft?

bundle Wed 24-Sep-08 15:34:04

chocolatedot, I wouldn't have been surprised if she'd resigned when all the hoo-ha over her son's education happened, but yes, I'm surprised by her resignation.

am I allowed to be surprised?

rather spookily, the dh of my MP friend literally just rang and asked me to help them out with childcare on Friday...which I graciously said I would smile

wasabipeanut Wed 24-Sep-08 16:04:10

"spending more time with the family" has become somewhat of a political cliche.

Personally I wouldn't have wanted to juggle 4 kids and a stellar career, staff or not.

mabanana Wed 24-Sep-08 16:11:25

One of her kids is at boarding school, isn't he?

bundle Wed 24-Sep-08 16:13:36

yes, hoo ha

chocolatedot Wed 24-Sep-08 16:22:57

Bundle, I have no opinion on whether you're "allowed" to be surprised or not, I was simply asking why. It seems to me that given her personal ciscumstances combined with a serious difference of opinion over embryo research, the fact that her career as a Minister had already peaked and an unpopular government, it doesn't seems an especially strange choice to make.

Personally I would have found it far more surprising if she had resigned over sending her son Private given that by doing so she broke no Labour Party rules and was by no means the first senior Labour politician to do so.

bundle Wed 24-Sep-08 16:27:52

As I said, yes, I'm surprised that she's resigned. I never said it was a strange choice, just surprising. For. Her. To. Resign. Now.

The embryo research has hardly come up suddenly, she's no more/less popular than before (and has indeed weathered more than a few storms) and at the time of her son's school move was branded a hypocrite, in the same way that Diane Abbott was.

chocolatedot Wed 24-Sep-08 16:31:26

Well gee sorry for having a discussion about it but thanks for typing slowly anyway, us simpletons need a bit of help.

MerlinsBeard Wed 24-Sep-08 16:47:33

was it Ruth Kelly that messed with education and then transport and then moved somewhere else?

mabanana Wed 24-Sep-08 17:00:32

maybe she's planning to ship them all off to boarding school and doesn't fancy the publicity? Or maybe she only wants to spend more time with three of her kids, as she clearly chose not to spend much time with one of them. I find her vaguely sinister.

Podrick Wed 24-Sep-08 17:18:49

This is very clearly a convenient euphemism.

Ruth Kelly is just swapping one full time job for another one. Her kids are all at school anyway. Spending time with the kids has never been a priority for Ruth Kelly and nothing has changed there imo.

Podrick Wed 24-Sep-08 17:27:58

She has timed her resignation to damage Gordon Brown and this is no coincidence. She is anti choice on abortion and as such I can only think good riddance.

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 17:33:41

mabanana (I am not stalking you honest) the child who is at boarding school has learning difficulties and it was the school that best suited his needs.......

ScummyMummy Wed 24-Sep-08 17:40:55

I thought he had mild dyslexia, fio? can't warm to r kelly, tbh. v headgirl without sense of humour.

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 17:45:04

I dont know what he had I just knew it was learning difficulties and remember the hoo ha

ScummyMummy Wed 24-Sep-08 17:48:58

twas a hooha indeed!

sahmfornow Wed 24-Sep-08 23:56:45

If she really wanted to spend time with her kids, perhaps she might have been better doing it when they were under 5, when she could have actually been at home with them during the day, not just after 3.30pm?

The 11 year old will soon be a teenager and not be in the least bit interested in hanging out with Mum. Even the youngest at 5 is now at full-time school. Don't really believe it myself - she doesn't seem the maternal type really. Think she just saw the writing on the wall and thought it might be a good time to go.

Dottoressa Thu 25-Sep-08 09:47:31

Whatever the reason for her departure, it comes as a relief to me!

I hope it will be followed by the departure of the entire Cabinet in due course.

Monkeytrousers Thu 25-Sep-08 09:55:43

I'm a bit shock at the default cynicism on here and hmm and the inside knowledge professed. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - that's just mine - I just wonder what the point of such cynicism is. Really. Skepticism, okay, especially if it motivates you do go and find out more. But cynicism just demands you sit on your arse and criticise fromn the scantest evidence. It encourages ignorance!

AS for RK, I am prepered to take her reasons on face value, I just thought it was a timely contrast to the situation in the US with Sarah Palin

Monkeytrousers Thu 02-Oct-08 23:26:40

she is now to step down as an MP here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now