Work parental leave policy - do you get paid when your child is ill?

(20 Posts)
EmmaJones Mon 14-Jun-10 19:54:06

12 weeks before this I was employed by a Private hospital for 12 momths and before that by a NHS hospital all the change of jobs where for promotion.
When I took my present job I was unaware I was pregnant so this makes me not eligible for statutary maternity pay (I had the baby on the 10/6/10). This leaves me without a monthly salary until I go back to work.
I have contacted the benfits office and they say I am not entitaled to any benifits because I am still employed.
Do you have any advice where I can turn to or forms I can get hold of to calaim something. I have not been unemployed since leaving Uni 10 yeard ago.
Thank you for any advice you can give me, Emma.
My email address is wjones38@aol.com (my dads email address)

fridayschild Thu 07-Aug-08 18:44:06

I get sick pay if I am sick. If my child is sick I take it as holiday or unpaid. Why should I get paid for not working when my child is ill?

unknownrebelbang Thu 07-Aug-08 18:28:15

There is no way I could take my children into work, ill or not.

DH has been known to take them in the nick on the odd occasion (not when he's on shift, but if he's had to call in to tie up loose ends, etc).

ReallyTired Thu 07-Aug-08 11:07:13

It is hard for teachers though, there isn't the option to work in the holidays. Ultimately staff at a school are employed to teach or support teaching staff. There is no doult that children do suffer academically if they have a string of supply teachers.

Prehaps schools and local authorities need to be a bit of creative how they use teachers returning from maternity leave. Its hard to balance children's right to an education with employment rights.

The school I work at allows staff up to five ocassions/days for children hospital appointments, sickness etc. After that you have to take the time off as unpaid. Support staff are sometimes allowed to accue time off in lieu, but not teachers. I am quite lucky in doing IT support there are loads of opportunities for over time.

Its daft suggesting bringing a baby into work. I would not bring my sensible six year old to work with me on health and safety grounds.

ghosty Sat 02-Aug-08 07:22:00

When DS was a baby I was told very nastily by my boss that it was up the discretion of the employer whether I got paid for taking time off if he was sick and to remember that he was being kind enough to pay me.
I hated him - he was a tosser. This was the same boss who suggested I brought DS into work if he was sick. ROFL - I was a teacher FFS! shock

Roboshua Sat 02-Aug-08 06:22:44

Jimmy. We are 'allowed' to have a certain number of days sick over two years (think it's 12 days). They don't count any 1 period over two weeks but after that they do (for example if you broke your leg and were off for six weeks it wouldn't go against you but if you) . If you apply for another internal post or promotion the first thing they check is sickness levels and if you go over it you are automatically disqualified from being considered for the job/promotion.

We also get a monthly 'competancy related pay'. You have to fullfil certain criteria (the first being that you have reached the top of your current pay scale). Having a sickness level within the permitted amounts is another criteria. Also certain sectors of the organisation can be considered for a yearly bonus. They will automatically not be considered for the bonus if they have gone over sick levels.

I do think on the whole it's fair. There are certain people in any organisation who will just take sick leave as if it were in addition to annual leave.

It is unfair when someone has some sort of condition which goes undiagnosed for a period of time. A colleague of mine had an horrendous sick record but was eventually diagnosed with a particular condition. He applied for a job and was turned down due to sickness despite a note from his Dr to explain the issue. He did appeal the sickness but was still turned down and had to wait nearly two years until his sick level was at the accepted level.

Aimsmum Fri 01-Aug-08 23:12:39

Message withdrawn

unknownrebelbang Fri 01-Aug-08 23:06:15

Fairly standard in a lot of the public sector.

PussinJimmyChoos Fri 01-Aug-08 23:05:26

robo - how can being sick too much affect pay and bonuses?!!! I mean what if you have a condition of some sort! That is wrong imo

unknownrebelbang Fri 01-Aug-08 23:03:47

Same here...except we get no bonuses.

Roboshua Fri 01-Aug-08 23:01:04

I have also never phoned in sick. However that is more to do with the fact there is a very strict sick policy where I work and if you have too many days sick it can affect promotion and bonuses. Also I know if I take my sick days for a sick child I can gaurantee I will be really ill myself and need it genuinely for myself.

unknownrebelbang Fri 01-Aug-08 22:53:47

I have to take leave/TOIL if I have to stay at home to look after a sick child, as does DH. If I'm called from the school, I still have to take TOIL.

DH would have to take leave too.

I've never phoned in to say I was sick, rather than the child.

pinkbubble Fri 01-Aug-08 22:53:25

I get paid. I appreciate what they say, don't take advantage etc - PS I am not saying that you do! honest!

Roboshua Fri 01-Aug-08 22:48:37

I think it's pretty standard, and I work in the public sector that you use holidays or go unpaid.

Having said that I think it's only fair. Why should parents get extra paid time off compared to their childless couterparts?? I know it's not because we're going out enjoying ourselves (spent a whole day in vomit covered pyjamas once (me not the DS)) becuase he'd vomitted on almost every other item of clothing I possessed. Would much rather have been at work on that day!!!! But it still doesn't seem right to me.

Having said that if someone is rung at work that their child has been taken ill they can take the rest of that day off to look after the child without it being unpaid or taken off their work entitlement. However I do work shifts so I can sometimes reroster my rest days to accomodate having to take time off.

PussinJimmyChoos Fri 01-Aug-08 22:38:36

My boss has refused to pay me if DS is sick and if I'm sick, he wants a sick note, even though he's been told and told again its employment law that you can self certify up to 7 working days...

I don't think he's getting much at home to be so anal at work!!

gigglewitch Fri 01-Aug-08 22:29:51

depends if you get battered on a 'points scale' system by taking sick leave hmm

pointydog Fri 01-Aug-08 22:11:50

just lie

Tortington Fri 01-Aug-08 22:09:38

whats the prob with lying?

gigglewitch Fri 01-Aug-08 22:05:02

I think the policy is the same in most places. It's either hols or unpaid leave. The government say that we're entitled to leave to look after dependents, which is a move in the right direction, but of course it it doesn't need to be paid.
As a manager, the way that we do get round it esp with part-time staff is to shuffle their days, so that basically they take the time when they need it and if they want to work the hours back the next week then it doesn't go down as either unpaid or hols. Some work extra time to accrue 'time off in lieu' and grab this when dc are ill instead, including me as i often work nearer to full time than i'm paid for. If you've got an amicable boss, see what can be done!

Fritzfassbender Fri 01-Aug-08 21:59:51

I'm a tad frustrated at the mo - my company where I work part-time won't allow me time off if one of my children is ill unless I take it as holiday or unpaid.

Does anyone else have this problem? I've been encouraged (by my boss) to lie and say that I am ill, which I don't really want to do.

So what's best, to lie or to get Mr Fassbender to take all the time off?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now