Who has been discriminated against at work for being pregnant, having children etc..

(17 Posts)
Poohbah Fri 18-Jul-08 22:08:25

and done nothing about it???

I have, for sure. I e-mailed the Equality and Human Rights Commission and they agree but as it's over three months I can't do anything about it now but at the time I didn't feel that I could fight a battle about anyway.

I wonder how many others their are in the same situation?

ceeb Sat 19-Jul-08 02:48:38

Had this problem. Fought a little and got a pay off to leave. Didn't help that the employer had (and still has) an excellent reputation for flexible working arrangements etc. Very frustrating! angry

SofiaAmes Sat 19-Jul-08 06:26:32

I got completely screwed on my maternity pay and holidays at my job in the UK. I complained and complained to my boss and he just kept putting me off. I was just too exhausted to take him to trial over it. Aroudn the same time his wife ran off with another man....so at least there was a bit of karmic justice.

Poohbah Sat 19-Jul-08 14:43:09

Yes, I was too exhausted to fight too. I thought there would be more of us.

cornsilk Sat 19-Jul-08 15:01:10

yes but long time ago now - 10 years. My union were crap as well.

DonnyLass Thu 24-Jul-08 17:00:15

In 2006 I was told by a major communications company that 'it would be sensible to decline the job offer' when I told a prospective employer that I was 9 weeks pregnant (discovered post interview and offer).

I wrote to the MD stating that I found this despicable. Their CEO called me up a few weeks later ... offering me freelance work.

I didn't pursue it legally as was worried it would be a black mark for my career overall.

Poohbah Thu 24-Jul-08 17:06:33

Well, that's what happened to me aswell. I think that companies aim to prevent discrimnation claims by offering freelance work which may or may not come to fruition but obviously they are not then paying full maternity benefits or pensions and your rights as a worker are much more limited. After all like you say no one really wants a black mark against their name.

Poohbah Thu 24-Jul-08 17:06:35

Well, that's what happened to me aswell. I think that companies aim to prevent discrimnation claims by offering freelance work which may or may not come to fruition but obviously they are not then paying full maternity benefits or pensions and your rights as a worker are much more limited. After all like you say no one really wants a black mark against their name.

wannaBe Thu 24-Jul-08 17:13:36

not in terms of maternity but I have been discriminated against on the basis of my disability.

Was told that I would never be promoted as had disability, also team lunches etc were deliberately booked at places that were only driving distance, I was then told that in order to be allowed to go I would have to leave my guide dog behind in the office as it was unfair to expect people to take a dog in their cars.

I was sent emails by my team leader asking me to please do something about my dog as dogs smell and it wasn't fair to inflict that on people in the office.

Someone reported my manager to the equal opportunities rep who had a word and manager and me had a falling out over it. I didn't pursue it as I didn't want that against my name were I to go to another employer. I was looking for a job then anyway so when I got one I left. The day I left though manager brought in party food to celebrate. sad

She left to go and work for another company three months later and about three months after that she was fired I believe. Carma...

DonnyLass Thu 24-Jul-08 17:15:54

OMG wannaBe that is despicable ... she sounds like an utter disgrace

wannaBe Thu 24-Jul-08 17:15:58

oh, and same manager was sued by another colleague who was discriminated against on the basis of her maternity leave. She left to go on maternity and when she came back manager had had her contract changed to state her only as a casual employee. Three months later there was a redundancy exercise and all casuals were got rid of.

She went to court and received a fairly hefty out of court settlement I believe.

wannaBe Thu 24-Jul-08 17:18:43

dl this is the same company I referred to on your other thread. Large company, well known for their positive treatment of disabled employees... hmm

In fairness though it was only that manager, I never had any issues with anyone else, in fact the director of the department gave me 4 weeks off on full pay to go and get my first guide dog. So it wasn't the company just the management they employed...

Poohbah Thu 24-Jul-08 17:20:31

That's shocking!! I think it is often individuals that discriminate rather than organisations! I love guide dogs they are so well behaved! shock

NappiesNoMore Thu 24-Jul-08 17:23:37

well i was only a receptionist, working for a facilities co in a microsoft building, and they tried to sack me when i got pg. agreed to hours changes and then started 'proceedings' to discipline me for constant tardiness. er hello?
at the time my dp was in touch with some of the country's best emplyment lawyers, so i had a phone call with a lovely woman there and she helped me work out what i wanted to say. i went into the 'disciplinary meeting' alone to face a manager, his manager and someone else i think, cant remember. they laid out what they thought id done wrong and then i spoke... by the time i was finished they were absolutely bending over backwards to keep me sweet - i guess they hadnt reckoned on a lowly receptionist having a brain or balls to fight them.
it really fucking pissed me off that i had to go through the fight tho. even tho i kind of knew id be ok anyway, with or without their stupid job it made me angry that their response to a pregnancy was to create fictitious charges and sack her pronto.

abcmum Thu 31-Jul-08 19:36:22

Well done on standing up to them!! I was made redundant while on Maternity leave, yet my job still exists.shock They were just trying to replace me with someone cheaper.I took them to tribunal and won!!! grin Both claims - Unfair dismissal and Sex discrimination!!! More of us need to stand up for our rights or these employers will keep getting away with it!! angry

Spink Sat 09-Aug-08 09:38:16

Overall my employer has been fine, the policy at work and mat package are pretty good.
Discrimination is definitely there though, just more subtle, and I don't know if I really have reason for being annoyed about it. Things like pulling me off projects (that are important for career development) because my manager doesn't want "to push" me while I'm pg (but not changing her mind when I tell her I am fine to keep the project on). This has happened with a few things.
Another eg is re promotion - her telling me that if I go for promotion when I return from mat leave, I won't be able to continue with flexible working (at the mo I work 8-4 and not a minute over, so I can be home for bedtime). She reckons that the more senior post requires overtime, and knows that I'm very clear about time boundaries at work.

So. these things do limit the extent to which I feel I can have a real future there. And because they are so vague, nothing on paper, I don't even know how I would do something about it..

Mastiles Fri 06-Feb-09 16:44:44

I would be interesed to know what sort of payouts people have got. My wife (with a £28k PA posiiton) is 20 weeks pregnant and has just been told she is being made redundant. Her boss's reasoning - 'it makes commercial sense because you have no projects on now and we can't give you any more because you are pregnant'. And that is on record, said at the 'consultancy interview' for her impending redundancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now