Bournemouth - what's it like to live there?

(8 Posts)
rainbowmagic1974 Fri 11-Mar-16 13:35:13

We 're thinking of a lifestyle change and moving to Bournemouth. What is it like to live there? Is it friendly? Are there good primary and secondary schools? It feels like a massive scary step ... But I'd like to give it a go! Any thoughts welcome!

OnlyTheDepthVaries Fri 11-Mar-16 14:39:44

It's lovely. 7 miles of sandy beaches, countryside and New Forest nearby. Purbecks and west Dorset just beautiful.
Do research on secondary schools and make sure you are in catchment for a decent one - a number are poor - but we do have a single sex grammar for which there is an enormous bunfight every year. Apparently, after passing the exam priority is now given to Bmth children - though many still bus in from miles around. Many good primary schools.
Lovely town centre, good restaurants. Out of town (ish) shopping is good at Castlepoint. A number of municipal sports centres in the town, lots of cycle routes.
There are areas to avoid like the plague due to drugs, prostitutes - but I'm sure that is the same for most large towns. Crime rate is generally low.
Do come and join us on the south coast!!

Ballnumnums Fri 11-Mar-16 15:04:01

It is stunning. To the south is the beach, miles and miles of beautiful sand, to the north east is the New Forest (think tea rooms, wild ponies, and thatched cottages and tiny pretty villages), to the west is the Jurassic coast. So may walks, so much wildlife. The weather is always a few degrees warmer than Salisbury to the north as we are protected by the warm sea currents so enjoy lovely warm weather most years with very little snow or frosts if we are lucky.

Shopping in the town centre is excellent, with lovely shops and plenty of coffee shops and restaurants. There is the BIC for bigger concerts, Castlepoint (shopping complex with restaurants just out of town towards the airport), Christchurch for a more quaint historic town next door with its own quay and boats moored along the river, Wimborne and Ferndown are close by and lovely areas to live. Poole is next door to the west with a quay and a lot of historical buildings, and boat trips to Brownsea island. The airport goes to many major resorts so holidays are easy.

Come for a holiday first for a week or two, talk to estate agents about areas, schools etc, talk to locals in the many pubs or restaurants. You will love it.

rainbowmagic1974 Fri 11-Mar-16 17:34:10

Thank you! What areas would you recommend to move to? The kids are 12,10 and 6. Really appreciate local knowledge as it's a bit of a mad move not knowing anyone smile

Ballnumnums Fri 11-Mar-16 21:34:37

It depends on how much money you have to invest in a house or to rent.

There really is a big difference in house prices. Have a look on Rightmove.

I don't know enough about schools to help there but someone may come along to help soon.

GemmaT82 Fri 11-Mar-16 21:46:20

Southbourne is a lovely area to live in, and a short walk to the beach.
Areas that people generally try to avoid are some parts of Boscombe, and Townsend, although I did live there for a number of years and it really wasn't as bad as people say.
I grew up and spent most of my adult life in Bournemouth, moved away to Derbyshire where the nearest beach is a 2.5 hour drive away, and would give my right arm to be able to afford to move back to Bournemouth. It really does have everything and will always be 'home'.

OnlyTheDepthVaries Sat 12-Mar-16 08:07:09

Me again. Lots of faith primary schools and a v good catholic secondary (St Peters) in the Southbourne area. Muscliff is lovely - again a number of good schools but all the good primaries are over subscribed. As others have said house prices and styles vary so depends on how much you want to spend. Avoid Boscombe, Kinson, East and West Howe, Townsend. I'm not keen on Charminster although estate agents market it as cosmopolitan!!!
I moved here with work 28 years ago - didn't think I'd stay - but I did!

Jessiejane15 Tue 27-Sep-16 01:57:19

Moving to Bourmouth, any advise on schools for a levels and good places to live in Bourmouth ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now