Advice on moving to a new area! Leeds

(14 Posts)
mistlethrush Tue 09-Jul-13 17:48:41

Leeds is amazingly compact for a city! I live on the northern part and drove into the centre in less than half an hour at peak time this morning - hardly bad.

Horsforth, Adel, perhaps even Chapel Allerton if you want something a bit more urban? Calverley is a settlement that is not joined on. Bramhope and Pool are both nice to the north - but both small without many of their own shops.

School places are short in some areas though - and you might end up being allocated a school further away from where you're living than the one you wanted, so that's worth checking.

BikeRunSki Tue 09-Jul-13 17:44:58

Otley. A few miles out of town, but still officially Leeds City Council.

Morley

SugarPasteGreyhound Tue 09-Jul-13 17:42:11

Horsforth is nice but if you have to commute into Leeds then the traffic can be pretty painful. Guiseley is nice as is Yeadon. Leeds is quite sprawling- is there a specific part you need to be close to - for work or family etc?

SingingSands Fri 05-Apr-13 23:44:30

grin Trazzles

I think Holt Park is meant to open at the end of this year, so not too long to wait! We are looking forward to the new pool!

Trazzletoes Fri 05-Apr-13 23:07:01

You know me too well Singing grin

I love Horsforth too. The only thing it doesn't strictly speaking have is its own sports centre but there is a gym at Trinity and All Saints Uni, and there is a new sports centre currently being built in Holt Park which is very closeby. Or there's one in Kirkstall, depending on which side of Horsforth you live. Either would be no more than a couple of miles, I would think.

FranKatzenjammer Fri 05-Apr-13 23:00:57

I was going to suggest Horsforth as well. Although Beeston is not as bad as people think.

SingingSands Fri 05-Apr-13 23:00:55

Horsforth ticks all those boxes, especially the excellent primary schools, several have had outstanding Ofteds (ours has had 4 in a row). Lots of coffee shops, good local shops, great transport links, big park and lots going on for kids. There's another few mumsnetters who live in horsforth, they might be along soon!

bettybyebye Fri 05-Apr-13 22:57:56

Try horsforth? Not sure about schools but fits everything else you've described. Ooh and maybe roundhay too.

Fayrazzled Fri 05-Apr-13 22:57:26

Where are you and/or your OH travelling to for work?

Valdeeves Fri 05-Apr-13 22:55:02

Horsforth!

Valdeeves Fri 05-Apr-13 22:54:51

Horsfoth is a very nice area, my teaching friends live there so I'm guessing the schools are good.

Valdeeves Fri 05-Apr-13 22:54:09

Hi, I used to live in a little village called New Pudsey in Leeds - it had lots of good bars, coffee shops and a good leisure centre. Not sure about schools?
I used to teach in a very small high school called Farnley Park which was nice at the time. I remember Beeston being described as rough, so I would avoid there.

Alliek Sun 04-Mar-12 19:05:44

Hi sorry my message is actually posted above said I was new to this!!!!
Hopefully someone can give me some advice on nice village areas to live in Leeds. Good for families, excellent primary schools and infant schools,lots for families to do ie parks, play areas.
Thanks everyone
Alliekeachie

Alliek Sun 04-Mar-12 18:49:01

Hello everyone, I am new to this site an I am not sure I am in the right area to ask for advice and help. We are moving to Leeds in a few months time and I really would like some help with the following questions. I was so pleased to find this site and sign up as I have been stressing about this I weeks. If I need to be on another page can anyone help!??

Nice village in Leeds
Family friendly and excellent schooling
My kids are aged 3 and 5
Parks, nice family walking areas and lots of kids areas to play.
Nice decent shops or coffee shops too please!!
Good sports centre as my son lives to swim and I love the gym

Any advice is grateful, we currently live in Berkhamsted so something with the same amenities and lots of nice friendly people,

Thanks and I hope to hear from anyone skins

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now