Sash Windows

(11 Posts)
ambermf1 Wed 20-Aug-14 14:54:33

We have just finished over-seeing 3 days of consummate craftsmanship: 'we repair any sash.com
Had been worried about removing and replacing our 1870 windows and the cost involved and feeling very fortunate to have found them, could not recommend more highly. Such a pleasure to find people who care about what they do.
Carole

sophiebygaslight Fri 08-Aug-14 21:49:53

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Well, looks like I'm in a minority, but I'd replace with (good) UPVC. In our first house we replaced the huge sashes with wooden ones (totally rotten, couldn't be refurbed) at HUGE cost - when we sold the house no-one was interested! We also had one refurbed (maybe our refurbers were dodgy) and it still leaked hot air like no tomorrow.

In this house we've gone with UPVC sashes in a finish that looks like wood - double glazed. Not the ones that tilt instead of opening - proper sash style.
Doing it a few windows every year, but they look great (lots of our posh mates have commented on them and assumed they're wood) & make a huge difference to warmth levels. I'd say have a look at a good quality UPVC sash & see what you think before making a decision. I can look out the cost of one of our standard sashes if you like (London/Surrey borders, so won't be cheap)

notcitrus Wed 30-Nov-11 13:26:17

We got ours refurbed when we moved here 5 years ago - totally neglected for 50+ years, rotting bits, draughts, etc.
They fit brushes in to prevent the worst draughts, and the reglazed ones we used double glazing in, but the real difference was then adding secondary glazing which is almost invisible inside but increased the temp of rooms by about 4 degrees all by itself.

Even if you can't afford to do it all at once, doing the biggest rooms like lounge and master bedroom will make a huge difference and your house will look so much better than with hideous uPVC. I don't know why PVC has to always have gaps in between the strips that look so ugly, but it really does.

Betelguese Wed 30-Nov-11 13:10:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mustdash Wed 30-Nov-11 12:08:14

We are slowly doing ours. It works out at about £800 per window for us to have then draft proofed, repaired and doubled glazed. We're going to have to wait a year or two till we do the last couple of rooms though, because all our rooms have 3 or 4 sashes.

It feels great when you can restore something which in our case is over 160 years old, and it make such a difference. They work beautifully now, and look perfect. Most houses in this area have gone for plastic, which wouldn't be significantly cheaper (huge windows), and they look horrible.

It makes an amazing difference. DD1s bedroom faces the sea, and takes the full wind. The floors are stripped, and before the windows were fixed there were terrible drafts through the floor, coming via the box frame. That has stopped now too, which was a really unexpected benefit.

Go for it if you can. Personally I don't like the ventrola system. A neighbour has used it, and their windows are still drafty and covered in condensation in the mornings, our aren't.

Betelguese Wed 30-Nov-11 12:01:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gilmoregirl Fri 07-Oct-11 14:39:00

When windows are refurbished they can be draught proofed - they fit brush things along the edges. So less draughty and should be warmer but cheaper than double glazing. If I had the money I would go for double glazing I think. Have a look at the Ventrolla website which shows what they do [http://www.ventrolla.co.uk/]

thanks gilmore (nn change btw, reastie here). will they still be cold when refurbished though? dh is obsessed by getting double glazed hmm

gilmoregirl Fri 07-Oct-11 12:04:01

I have a victorian flat with sash and case windows which were so draughty that my flat was freezing (literally 10 degrees in the winter with heating on!)

There are eight windows in all (including one three windowed bay) and to have them replaced was over £10k as they had to be done in wood as the UPVC was not allowed (conservation area).

As I could not afford that I looked into having them refurbished. Lots of companies do this - it is still expensive: c£4k

reastie Thu 06-Oct-11 16:03:42

This is my first delve into the home front board blush

We have a Victorian property with original sash windows throughout (2 bays and 7 other windows). The are all really draughty and most of them are rotting (quite badly on some). Does anyone know anything about restoring/buying new sash windows?

If DH has his way he would replace them with cheap plasticy windows but I've said that's sacrilege and we need to either get them restored or have new sash windows in keeping.

If we had them restored, I know it would be cheaper but presumably they would still be draughty (although maybe less so). We are toying with the idea of new sash windows but tbh a bit scared about where to start as we know it's going to be ££££. If it makes a difference we don't ever intend from moving where we are now so we want something that will last us through.

Does anyone have any knowledge they could pass on to us please? Can you get new sash windows that look just like painted wood but arn't (we are thinking these might be more practical if we don't have to keep painting them over the years but I'll only go with them if they look like the real thing). Does anyone know v approx just how much a new sash window costs as I can't find much online.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now