Taking Dyslexic DD out of school just for yr6

(8 Posts)
printmeanicephoto Sun 30-Oct-16 22:52:13

Is this a good idea? She is up for it as she struggles with most subjects at school but is v social and integrated with her group of school friends. Maybe I could have them round for tea after school to keep up the contact. She also has lots of friends on our street.

I just think the year 6 SATs factory is not really going to help her, and one to one would be so much better. Anyone else done it just for yr 6?

Saracen Mon 31-Oct-16 07:30:18

Sounds like a great idea! Several people in my area have done this. This must be the easiest time to have a year off school. If your dd's school is all about SATs preparation in Y6 then it's a wasted year in educational terms, and it's likely you could do better. And of course there are no issues about her losing her school place or having difficulty integrating into school next year. Everyone else will be new at secondary too and she'll be on the same footing as all the others.

You could do some really fun things with this time. Daytrips, projects, focusing on some hobby or interest which isn't covered at school...

Since your daughter is up for home education, there's no reason not to do it!

printmeanicephoto Mon 31-Oct-16 23:47:18

Thanks yes just what I'm thinking. It's just loss of income that could be the sticking point.

QuantockRunner Tue 01-Nov-16 09:18:31

We have just done exactly that - took our dd out of school at the end of year 5 and home educated for year 6. She has just started at secondary school, with no obvious problems so far. (The fact that she has not done SATS doesn't appear to be a problem either).
We did as Saracen suggests, allowing dd to follow her own interests, pursue hobbies etc.. She maintained her social group from school, and in addition has made many new friends through the extensive home education network (found through our local home ed facebook group). She describes it as the best year of her life! Although we spent ages agonising over whether to do it or not (and dealing with some negative comments from others), I can honestly say that it was a great decision, and has given us the confidence to do the same again in future if necessary. If you are financially able and your daughter is keen, I would say go for it!

printmeanicephoto Wed 02-Nov-16 21:37:57

Thanks guys good to hear some positive stories on this. Financially though flexi-schooling might work better in our situation so I could at least work a couple of days a week but don't think our Primary would allow this! Boo!

Letseatgrandma Wed 02-Nov-16 21:40:46

I'm a teacher and would have told you that was a daft idea 5 years ago, but now, I'd say absolutely--go for it. Y6 is a miserable boring repetitive time for many many children at the moment-it sucks.

littlepinkmouseofsugar Wed 02-Nov-16 22:21:27

We are HE for this reason (and others).

Last year at the end of the year all the classes were open for parents and children to look at and admire their own child's class but a also to loo at other classes in the school as well. Years R to 5 all had work on the walls, stuff dangling overhead, art displayed etc.

Year 6 was totally bare aside from a massive pile of CGP Sats books, photos from a projector of all the 'fun' post-SATS visits to random places and stage sets from the year 6 play, also done post-SATS. Not a thing from the pre-SATS months anywhere. I wasn't expecting it to be as colourful as a reception classroom, but it was pretty shocking to be honest to see there was NOTHING aside from SATS prep for 2.5 terms.

So basically year 6 is 2.5 terms of repetition of maths/grammar etc and half a term of random stuff and filler (school camp, school play and various pricey trips out and about) and no 'work'.

printmeanicephoto Fri 04-Nov-16 09:05:50

Yes I totally agree. I really don't see the point of SATs for my daughter - she'll just get upset that, because of the dyslexia, she can't achieve the same final results as her friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now