Having a wobble!

(4 Posts)
NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Mon 20-Jun-16 18:28:16

Been in tears all day after handing de-registration letter in.
I know it is the right decision, dd who is 12 has been bullied badly twice since last November and I know she has been miserable at school the rest of the time.She was also diagnosed with PTSD 2.5 years ago and suffers with anxiety and low mood.
School guidance team have been hopeless at providing support, it has been a battle all year to get anything to help her.
I am upset because it is a good academic school out of our catchment and her older brother has done really well and I really thought she would settle in as back in September she was looking forward to it.
It was dd choice to homeschool, at work one day she texted 20 Points for home ed and 2 against!
I know I couldn't leave her there as I was really worried about her mental health if she stayed. But I keep thinking about not getting her into another school if it doesn't work out. Our local two are failing and the others are oversubscribed or Catholic.
I am also worrying about how she will do GCSEs, although she is only Y7.
We do seem to have a very good home school group in are area with some classes that we shall attend in September.

ommmward Mon 20-Jun-16 22:40:42

Don't panic! Pat yourself on the back for listening to her and taking steps to make things better. And see if you can begin to get linked up with a gentle friendly HE family or two over the summer. It's going to be better than OK, I promise flowers

jomidmum Tue 21-Jun-16 07:46:26

Give it time. It does take a while to gain confidence in home ed but it is a great solution for so many traumatised children and teens.
Maybe don't put any expectations on her: there are many routes in HE and employment. Our 12 and 13 year olds just follow their own interests, at their own pace.
I do hope the trauma of school lifts soon and you are able to link up some lovely home ed families. There are so many around.
All the best.

ExAstris Wed 22-Jun-16 10:01:13

I can identify with your daughter - I had anxiety and depression from childhood through teen years. You know when it got better? When I went to uni it improved, as I had more control over my environment and choices. Really sorted myself out once uni was over and I had the time, space and mental energy to do more than just survive day to day. I think you're doing the right thing for your daughter.

If I were you I'd be sure to engage her in her own improvement, so she can own the process and you're not making her do anything, she is investing in it herself.

Re. GCSEs, a lot of HEdders do IGCSEs, skip straight to A-levels, or join college or do distance learning at that point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now