Maths Resources.

(15 Posts)
ObiWanCannoli Tue 08-Dec-15 17:37:51

I'm looking for links to really good math resources.

I withdrew my kids from formal schooling as my middle two boys have high functioning autism. They weren't learning to what I felt was their ability at school. So I'm trying to work out their problems, I think from research they have a mix of motor skill and visual perception difficulties.

I'm looking for a maths programme that enhances their ability, something that compliments their learning style. One of my sons struggles with number sequence and pattern.

I've seen lots about Singapore maths and wondered if this programme would be suitable?

I'm open to suggestions, I've looked at lots of material but any advice right now would be so helpful.

Thank you so much.

FreeWorker1 Tue 08-Dec-15 17:43:14

My son uses BBC Bitesize quite a bit. He is in KS3 level now but he isn't a natural mathematician and seems to get it quite well.

ObiWanCannoli Tue 08-Dec-15 17:51:51

I should say my kids are 9, 7, 5 and 3.

My 5 year old isn't getting number shapes and isn't retaining information, he forgets the shapes really easily.

My 7 year olds number formation is poor but getting better since he's been home schooled but he still struggles to remember the months, days of the week and counting past fifty is a bit off.

He's not picking up number sequence if the numbers are in a pattern he struggles to work it out. I've also discovered his timetables knowledge is weaker than school had me believe.

We've only been home schooling since mid November so it's early days. I know there is a programme out there or a curriculum out there that will help.

I just need to find it.

ObiWanCannoli Tue 08-Dec-15 17:57:14

Thank you FreeWorker I've been using bite size my daughter is great at maths but I can see my boys learn differently.

They've managed well enough but it really is hard for them.

HarrietSchulenberg Tue 08-Dec-15 17:58:21

A lot of schools use [[ www.mymaths.co.uk/ MyMaths]], if that's any use.
There's a subscription fee but I guess you get what you pay for.

ObiWanCannoli Tue 08-Dec-15 18:58:09

I'm happy to pay, I just need to get them the best for them that I can. Thanks for the link.

duplofrenzy Tue 08-Dec-15 23:10:49

Look at Conquer maths. We like it.

StreakingThroughTheSnow Wed 09-Dec-15 07:14:09

Another vote for Conquer. Good discount for home educators too.

mrsmortis Thu 10-Dec-15 09:53:49

Do they need repetition? I we've been using The Maths Factor at home and my girls like that, though I can see how it would not be the thing for all children. And there is currently a free/cheap trial going on.

Akallabeth Fri 11-Dec-15 07:41:10

We use MEP Maths www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/ Its free to print at home or you can order the workbooks for a small charge. Its organised into school years but I have both my DC doing the lessons that are matched to their ability rather than age.

My DS does find Maths very easy, so sometimes gets bored by the repetition, but my DD is the opposite and she has come on in leaps and bounds in the last year. When I de-regged her age 8, she was apparently 'meeting national expectations' in Maths. In reality she struggled to add more than single digit numbers, cried at the sight of a subtraction problem and had no idea what odd or even meant!

Mellifera Fri 11-Dec-15 07:54:37

My 7yo does TheMathsFactor in addition to school, because she was very anxious about maths and had the fun of the subject knocked out of her in year 1 by a horrible teacher.
It does cost subsciption fees though, £10 a month. We joined when there was an offer of £1 per month.

minniebear Fri 15-Jan-16 20:03:06

I know this thread hasn't been used in a while, but I teach Singapore Maths and would be happy to answer any questions. It's a very practical, visual approach, but in order to teach it you need to understand it inside out-the whole thing is the theory behind it.

Ineedmorepatience Sun 17-Jan-16 21:11:21

That plymouth maths looks great Akallabeth!

I am going to print some off for Dd3 and see if I can kick start her interest in maths again!

spaghettihoopsagain Sun 17-Jan-16 21:58:13

We use singapore, but I would say it is not good for children who struggle with maths. There is not a huge amount of revision and they teach quite a lot of methods/strategies, moving quite quickly from one to another. I have heard that Saxon maths is good. Conquer maths online also good (we use this for revision) Use the code homeed for a discount. we also use mental maths books each day, just 20 questions for revision and lots of times tables games.

ObiWanCannoli Fri 26-Feb-16 21:03:55

Thanks for all the help we have gone with a workbook programme called maths no problem and conquer maths. We've also used bite size and a BBC times table game and a times table book called I think times table fun and easy. Kids are going well so far. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now