home ed in East Sussex

(11 Posts)
yuckythingsonthefloor Thu 17-Oct-13 12:29:38

Hello, I am thinking of HE for my son - is there anybody out there? We are near Lewes.

jussi Thu 17-Oct-13 21:45:25

Hiya,
Am in Brighton and just recently taken my son out of school.Currently on the lookout for any social contacts! How old is your son?

yuckythingsonthefloor Fri 18-Oct-13 21:38:47

Hi Jussi
My son is 9 and is still in school but I fear there is a good chance he may not work out and that HE might be a good option. He has ASD and finds the school environment very difficult. May I ask why you took your son out?

jussi Fri 18-Oct-13 21:43:03

Same reason-has ASD and I couldn't bear seeing him struggling in everyday apart from other issues with the school. He's only 6 but already is much happier and is actually happy to learn with me-which I thought we would have difficulties with.

yuckythingsonthefloor Fri 18-Oct-13 22:07:44

That's really wonderful Jussi, that he is happier. How are you going about the school work? Does he have difficulties other than ASD?

jussi Sat 19-Oct-13 07:16:37

At the mo, it's very trial and error although I have tried to implement some kind of routine. For example, we do a reading scheme programme on the computer every morning which he sees as a game, then we go out somewhere. Then during the course of the day I'll try and do something related to numbers ( board game or reading prices in shops) and also go with his interests loads and research things on the Internet about it and try and relate as many things as possible to it (animals).
At the moment am looking for social activities, have joined Facebook groups and yahoo group. If you want to meet and chat anytime, send me a PM and we can arrange.

yuckythingsonthefloor Thu 24-Oct-13 19:03:05

Thanks Jussi, will keep you posted on how things go after half term (thlhmm)

Kimb12 Wed 20-Nov-13 18:08:33

Hi, I've just recently taken my son Zac 9 out if school as he's always hated it and has panic attacks. Today I had the home school liaison officer here and basically made it sound that Zac was just trying to control me by not wanting to go to school and by stopping me working, she wouldn't leave it saying what if you had to work what would you do then ? But I do have to work and don't know how I'm going to manage but zacs health was suffering so I really didn't have a choice ! She also said that he is unlikely to get any qualifications and therefore will be almost unemployable! Leaving me feeling like an absolute failure as a mum.
Any advice would be great.
Thank you.
Kim and Zac.

jussi Wed 20-Nov-13 22:16:21

Hi Kim,
I saw your message on the BHHE site. I also recently had the LA visit which for us was actually very civilised.The woman that came here seemed supportive,gave some leaflets,had a chat how I'm going to meet his needs(has a statement of SEN), complained to her about his existent statement and she generally seemed quite happy with what we are doing.
She did mention that someone from the educational side of things would visit in a couple of months-I know that I can refuse this but I would rather have a good working relationship with them so have agreed to this as I have nothing to hide.
Personally, I would complain about this employee to the LA as she has no right saying the things she did.Hopefully someone will be along who can quote the law to you in order to quote to this woman.How rude! Good luck!

julienoshoes Thu 21-Nov-13 10:36:42

Don't worry kimb12
Just looking at the woman's job title gives away her motivation for the crap she has told you

'home school liaison officer'

She's just after frightening you back to school.

"She also said that he is unlikely to get any qualifications and therefore will be almost unemployable!"
hmm you'd think wouldn't you that someone in this position would bother to find out something about HE? But no...

The fact that just this year it has been agreed that home educated young people aged 14-16 can go to college to do qualifications - and many are doing qualifications that way right now, means she doesn't know what she is talking about.

And of course home educated young people have been gaining qualifications for years in different ways- my own three children have used the OU, college post 16 and adult learning courses to get qualifications to get to university.
I know very many home educated children who are at university right now, doing many different courses- including Engineering, IT, Analytical Chemistry and Forensic Science, Physiology, Economics, Photographic Journalism, Law, Veterinary Science and Medicine-to name just a few off the top of my head- and at universities across the country.
And others who are employed and self employed in a whole range of different jobs.

In the end I just come down to thinking that asking some people who are invested in the school system about home education, is like asking a butcher about vegetarianism.

The education you offer your son, just has to suitable for him, it really doesn't matter a single jot about what rubbish this woman thinks of spouts, you don't have to have anything to do with her ever again.
If she or anyone else to do with the school contacts you again, tell them that you have deregistered your child from school, and so his education has nothing what so ever to do with them any more.
Say that you are happy to communicate with the Home Education Team, when they write to you.

Relax and find yourself some home educators locally, and enjoy this new start you and your son have got, watching him regain his self confidence and happiness-which is the most important thing for now. As his self confidence and self belief returns, so will the joy of learning.

Consider coming over and joining us on The Mumsnet HE FB page where we can talk more freely, and on FB I can see two pages for Brighton home educators.

and there is a Yahoo email support group for your area too

Brighton and Hove Home Educators

TheXmasLogIn Wed 27-Nov-13 20:23:55

Hi I am also near Lewes in East Sussex and looking into home Ed for my daughter. I'd really like to chat to some others in a similar situation to find out what it is like and decide whether it would work for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now