Attendance officer visit

(6 Posts)
kat918 Tue 17-Sep-13 16:52:16

Hi im home educating my daughter of 6 at the moment while awaiting the panel process. But im concerned that a few of the mums that I have met up with whom are home educating have had this visit also and have had a positive meeting I have heard that one parent has had a very negative meeting as the person whom came to see her was a school attendance improvement officer and this is really worrying me as We cannot put our daughter back to previous school due to removal from school was for health and safety reasons and lack of duty of care and this is really worrying could anyone just let me know whom they had or weather they have had the same person attend

EauRouge Tue 17-Sep-13 17:37:33

Did you de-register her from school? If you did, then a school attendance officer has no business visiting you. There is no legal requirement for you to send your child to school if she's not registered at one. This site has some really good info about the law.

julienoshoes Tue 17-Sep-13 17:52:52

where are you based kat?

streakybacon Wed 18-Sep-13 07:42:01

In my LA, the EHE people are part of the Behaviour and Attendance Improvement Team, which in turn is under Education Welfare. OP's LA structure could be similar.

FionaJNicholson Thu 19-Sep-13 17:38:51

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the fact that the job title is School Attendance Improvement Officer. I know it sounds absolutely bizarre for home education, but local authorities don't actually get a budget for home education services so they often eke the job out by putting it under school services or welfare or behaviour. I've even seen it under "vulnerable groups."

It doesn't necessarily follow that the person will have that mindset when they come to deal with home educators.

Various people have tried to get this arrangement changed without success.

Two other things:

1. you don't have to meet anyone if you don't want.
2. if someone wants to come and see you straightaway it might well be just to check if you really want to be home educating and whether you know what's involved, as some parents who are waiting for appeal on a place don't realise they are actually responsible for the child's education themselves while they are waiting.

morethanpotatoprints Sun 22-Sep-13 16:38:20

Hello Kat

We declined to meet anybody from the LA when we started H.ed, because I found it an intrusion.
Instead, I sent our philosophy of why we had chosen to H.ed, which if you are unaware is a short statement. I also included a list of resources dd would be using, which was everything I considered a learning resource.

It is true that many parents don't know what is involved in H.ed and ime many presumptions are completely wrong.

You have to follow the n.c
There is somebody who marks their work every week
H.ed dc do SATS and are levelled by the LA
The LA/ nominated school give you work for dc to complete.

I haven't come across many parents who realise you are completely on your own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now